Detroit Truetrac In Front And Rear Axles? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Detroit Truetrac In Front And Rear Axles?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well like they say: you cant mod your way out of the problems between the seat and steering wheel. And by "they" I mean "me".

Unread 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #32
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used to run front / rear TTs before swapping out the D35 for a Rubicon D44.

If it wasn't for my annoyance at having to replace damaged axleshafts twice on the D44 I wouldn't have done the swap. The Truetrac worked great for me for about 7-8 years and I loved them. In some respects, I wish I had a D44 with TT in it out back for the simplicity but I couldn't pass up on the Rubi D44 deal I got. And like Island Tj, I had a lot of incredulous observers swear up and down I was running lockers (pre-axle-swap). The TT's just work and work well. No fuss, no muss, lots of traction, and excellent on-road handling.

Go for the dual Truetracs!
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #33
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Eric, Did you End up running TT front and rear? I just bought a TT for my rear and I'm debating a TT up front or a Spartan.. How do you like the 4.56 gears and 33s? What RPMS are you turning on the Highway? I'm debating either 4.10s or 4.56 gears as well.. Oh and I'm a Fellow Jeeper here in Baton Rouge! Where in St. Francisville are yall riding??
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #34
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having run f/r Truetracs for several years in my previous TJ, I would definitely go with a true locker up front. A front lunchbox locker will not affect your steering on the street when in 2wd, but when you are offroad and shift into 4x4, the locker will help a LOT more than the Truetrac can. I replaced my f/r Truetracs with lockers because the Truetracs were ineffective on any trail or obstacle where both tires couldn't remain in firm contact with the ground. Yes that included the use of proper use of my brakes to help the Truetracs work/engage better.

To me, Truetracs are better for the street and lockers are better for offroading.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #35
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

My TT's work well off-road so far...got me through here...

and they get me up to the mountains for snowboarding:
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep it would in those pictures where all four tires are on the ground.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #37
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

not everybody wheels in the desert over big boulders with tires off the ground, so they do work well off-road on a dual purpose rig in many cases

btw, two of those pictures show the rig in motion, with one tire catching air at times
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #38
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I dunno... I ran a front Trutrack with the rear Trackloc for awhile... it worked OK and it was reliable. That being said, it also had all of the negatives of a locker on wet or snowy roads, ie... it became a low side finder and none of the benefits of actually locking both sides up if a tire was in the air. I eventually switched it to a Detroit up front which I hated and then eventually to ARB's front and rear.

MO is that if you think you need/want a traction device, then save your duckets up and go for a selectable which will give you the best of both worlds. Trutracks are not cheap either so its not that huge of a stretch to get up to a selectable.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #39
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
My TT's work well off-road so far...got me through here...

and they get me up to the mountains for snowboarding:
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #40
watsoc08
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wheeler Lake, I love that trail. One of my favorites in CO for sure. I would say on the Flopper obstacle there that you can easily get one of the two wheels off the ground on your front and rear axles. I currently have a TT in the front and an ARB in the rear. Eventually I will go to a ARB in the front as well, but the TT has served me well and most people ask me if I have a locker when running up challenging sections on trails and until recently with the ARB locker addition the answer was always no. Unless you are doing a ton of rock crawling where tires are off of the ground then the TT is a great option and is very simplistic compared to a locker. I have found mine to behave wheel in the snow as well so it is definately better than a lunch box locker for those of us that see snow on a common basis.
watsoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I put an E-locker in my front hp30 and a TT in my rear tirdy5.

With over 10k miles on this setup I don't think there is a better one for MY jeep. With the front locked while side hilling the rear does not push; it just follows the front. Since we see a lot of snow here when I shift into 4wh with the front not completely locked and the rear TT does its thing. Amazing on snowy roads.

I make it everywhere everyone that I wheel with does in trail only rigs locked f/r and some places they can't cause the rear axle doesn't push the front.
Unread 02-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #42
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

keep in mind installed a true track costs the same as installing a full case locker.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dana 30 , front axle , true trac , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.