Detroit Soft Locker VS. Detroit Truetrac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Detroit Soft Locker VS. Detroit Truetrac

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 11-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

Detroit Soft Locker VS. Detroit Truetrac

Driving on the street, how much difference would I notice between these?

The Jeep is not my DD, but I do like driving it. I offroad about 5 times a year. I want something to keep up with a friends Rubicon. I will have a Truetrac in the front axle.

My DD is a 4X4 also, but I do get out in the rain and snow in the Jeep.

Unread 11-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd like to know people's experience with the Trutrac as well. If I ever put a locker out back, that's one of my finalists.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You are trying to compare a torsen style LSD to a locker. Two different animals.

The trutrac is a gear driven limited slip diff. It is not a locker. A torsen style LSD is generally regarded as the highest evolution of a LSD. It will get you through most obsticales and is pavement friendly. It still does not provide 100 percent lockup and is not as strong as an autolocker due to the fact that is more complicated, has many smaller parts.

The softlocker is an autolocker. When power is applied to the carrier it turns on and acts as a spool. This gives true positive traction and is very predictable. On pavement however it will show itself once and while, particularly if you try to stay on the gas through a corner.

If the Jeep was not my DD and I wanted off-road performance a locker would be the way to go.
jonzer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ is a DD and I have over 100K miles on its Detroit Locker. It's predictable and does great in all conditions, though I don't think I'd want to drive with it much on an icy road.

I ran Truetrac LSDs front and rear for several years and offroad, they're nearly useless once you get on terrain that is uneven enough that tires start lifting off the ground where an LSD doesn't work well at all. Replacing my front and rear Truetracs with lockers completely transformed my Jeep offroad. Onroad, it does fine too. The Detroit Locker (aka Softlocker) reminds me of its presence every once in a while but I still like it and don't mind it in my daily driver at all.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer12
You are trying to compare a torsen style LSD to a locker. Two different animals.

The trutrac is a gear driven limited slip diff. It is not a locker. A torsen style LSD is generally regarded as the highest evolution of a LSD. It will get you through most obsticales and is pavement friendly. It still does not provide 100 percent lockup and is not as strong as an autolocker due to the fact that is more complicated, has many smaller parts.

The softlocker is an autolocker. When power is applied to the carrier it turns on and acts as a spool. This gives true positive traction and is very predictable. On pavement however it will show itself once and while, particularly if you try to stay on the gas through a corner.

If the Jeep was not my DD and I wanted off-road performance a locker would be the way to go.
I know there is a difference, just used the wrong terminology. A bit lazy on my part. But like you pointed out, one is pavement friendly, one is not. I don't want to give my DD any odd driving characteristics since my wife likes to drive it occasionally too.
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have Truetrac units at both ends and for my use, the beach and winter driving, there is nothing better. It has great road manners and instead of worrying what a locker will do during turns, icy roads and snow, the Truetrac will actually help in those situations. If I was climbing rocks and didn't use the Jeep in the winter, I would have definitely installed a Detroit Locker in the rear.. .. .. ..
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
jaytee
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love my Truetrac. I had a Detroit in the back of my old YJ. That thing was a billygoat, but it was not good in slippery on-road conditions. I went with the Truetrac in the back of my new TJ because the wife couldn't drive the old one at all. I like it so much that I may put one in the front to match.

If you have a tire in the air and it doesn't split the torque between both of the rear tires (it needs at least a little resistance to work properly) then use your e-brake. That is what I do and it works great for me! Granted, I do almost no hard-core rock crawling. But then again, if I did hard core rock crawling all the time, then I wouldn't be using an '06 TJ daily driver, I would have something else!
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Fyrflie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I too have a true trac in the rear only and couldn't be happier. Don't even notice it on-road and works great off-road.

As for wheels leaving the ground while rock climbing or fourwheeling: With a disconnected sway bar in front, the TJ has excellent flexability and rarely do the tires leave the ground. This statement has been proven numerous times on the Rubicon.

Just my 2 cents

4.0, 5 Speed, D30, D44 w/Detroit Truetrac, 4.56 gears

Rancho Lift, Body Lift, Motor Mount Lift, SYE & 33" tires
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 02:25 AM   #9
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

As I understand it, the average mechanic can't install the Trutrac himself. How much is the typical installation?
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #10
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for your replys.

I don't do rocks. I think the LSD will do all that I need. My wife will be happy also.

CPT Jeep, I have a friend that puts together rear ends at Dana. He is going to do this for me.

Thank again. I would be lost with out this forum.
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
AlexTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw
CPT Jeep, I have a friend that puts together rear ends at Dana. He is going to do this for me.
Lucky!.....
'97 TJ Sport :4.7L STROKER:RSG AX-15 "Terminator":Accel 30lb/hr injectors:2000 intake manifold:HP Dana 30 & Ford 8.8 w/ stock LSD & 4.11s for now:RE 4.5" SF :OME Shocks:AA SYE & Dana CV shaft: MAXXIS Bighorn MTs 33x12.5R15:SRC Front & rear bumpers w/ tire carrier:Cragar Series 320 15x8s:WARN SDB-210HBs:KC slimlites Long & Fog:Bestop Replace-a-top : No Cat and Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad
AlexTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
BILL G
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run Tru Tracs f+r they work well both on and offroad.
BILL G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
rpg1520
Heavily Armed Liberal
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running Truetrac on both axles too, I've been using Bill G and Luplnsea's Jeeps as a model for mine. In the summer here it's twisty logging roads and in the winter I get lots of snow and ice.

Do a search on TrueTrac and you'll find lots of information.

First, decide on what you're going to use your Jeep for, then choose the best components to get you there.
rpg1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I totally remember the day I decided to get rid of my front & rear Truetracs. I was going up Left-Turn Hill at a closed wheeling area called Los Coyotes Indian Reservation. It was a steep hill that a friend had just rolled down backwards in front of me a few minutes earlier. I got near the top with my passenger-side front wheel up in the air, and the rear left tire barely touching the ground, I was nearly teeter-tottering on my LF and RR tires. In 4Lo, I gave it some gas to get up and over and nothing, I wasn't moving. My spotter then told me both of the tires not firmly on the ground were spinning wildly but I was going nowhere. I tried the old push on the brakes technique which wasn't enough either. I had to back down a bit and take a different line so I'd have better traction.

If I had had lockers (or even a single rear locker) that day, there wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running the Truetracs in both axles, too. And pretty much concur with everyone's sentiments which range from "they're great" to "they're not lockers and lockers are better".

The Truetracs are more of a balance, a compromise traction device. They provide a lot more traction than open diffs or typical LSDs. Yet they're not as good as lockers in delivering "ultimate traction." However, you don't have a lot of the on-road / reliability / cost compromises that you have with lockers.

So . . . significant traction improvement, good on-road manners, good slick-road handling, no complicated air compressor or air line set up, no finicky e-locker engagement systems, no clicking, ratcheting or chirping noises on road.

Once they're installed, you can pretty much forget about them.

I would say that if you have a dedicated trail rig, or are playing in rocks (or lifting your tires off the ground a lot) then lockers would be a much better choice.

But for general trail running on forest or mountain roads, or going through muddy sections, and so forth the Truetracs are just fine.

Very occasionally I'll encounter a situation that overcomes the Truetracs. . . it doesn't happen often, but every once in a while and about half those times the guys with lockers are having problems, too. In these situations I bust out my winch and pull me through the 3-5 ft of trail that is causing me problem, then get going on my way again.

Something else I've noticed is that my Jeeps seems to be particularly manouverable. With lockers on the rigs tend to push in turns a bit. Usually it's not a problem but if you're in a tight squeeze and need to turn sharp it can be an issue. If you have selectable lockers you can just turn them off, but with auto lockers there's no such luck. And I'm in an area where I highly value that manouverability with very tight trails threading through closely packed trees.

Bottom line is that it comes down to you, your temperment, and how and where you drive your Jeep.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.