Dent in dana 44 diff cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dent in dana 44 diff cover

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Buckeye Bill

Dent in dana 44 diff cover

My 2005 rubi unlimited was bought in Jan 2005. I recently noticed a dent on the front dana 44 diff cover. Dent is at the 6 o'clock on the cover and is about the size of a half dollar. It is about 3/16 inch deep. NO LEAKING! Don't recall hitting anything. Must have!

Any risk of gears rubbing on the pushed in portion of diff cover?
Any other concerns I should have?
Should I replace cover with OE and install skid or replace cover with stronger diff cover without skid?

Buckeye Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
jeeptj19992001

take off cover....hit it with a bfh...or rubber mallet...put it back on and then get a guard for it....or just get a rock crusher cover for it.
Unread 12-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
greggradwohl

Second that - rock crusher.
greggradwohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
MuddyJeepZJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

BTF are good too!
New Jersey Jeep Association
MuddyJeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are a ton of after market upgraded covers and skids that bolt over the stock cover (the skids are usually a bit cheaper and you don't have to replace the fluid to install most of them) but depending on the size and depth of the dent you may want to pull the cover just to make sure. On the stock covers you usually have a decent amount of space to play with, some of the aftermarket covers start to get tight to the gears because they're thicker and you have to worry about clearances with your steering and your gas take skid... I run Crane covers on mine and love them, they're a little pricey but I wanted the clearance they provide.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
JeepCreepn01

rock crushers, you aint going to dent them
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Try these-1/4 in steel with 3/8 in ring. Dents-we don,t need no stinking dents. http://www.bluetorchfab.com/oscomm/c...c5e80f6343c6ee

Last edited by dirtgrip; 01-12-2006 at 08:05 PM..
dirtgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #8
rkik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish
There are a ton of after market upgraded covers and skids that bolt over the stock cover (the skids are usually a bit cheaper and you don't have to replace the fluid to install most of them) but depending on the size and depth of the dent you may want to pull the cover just to make sure. On the stock covers you usually have a decent amount of space to play with, some of the aftermarket covers start to get tight to the gears because they're thicker and you have to worry about clearances with your steering and your gas take skid... I run Crane covers on mine and love them, they're a little pricey but I wanted the clearance they provide.

I plan on replacing my covers front and rear with some CRANE covers soon. Everything I have researched on them is top notch and apparently recently they have made even more improvements. Plus no ribs like some of the other covers have to get hung up on. Rokmen ( www.rokmen.com ) has some good deals especially if you buy a set (front and rear).

www.highclearance.com/

rkik
Unread 12-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkik
I plan on replacing my covers front and rear with some CRANE covers soon. Everything I have researched on them is top notch and apparently recently they have made even more improvements. Plus no ribs like some of the other covers have to get hung up on. Rokmen ( www.rokmen.com ) has some good deals especially if you buy a set (front and rear).

www.highclearance.com/

rkik
No products until Aug 06!!!! http://highclearance.com/order/index.htm
Unread 12-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkik

www.highclearance.com/

rkik
I am not worried about the ribs of a diff cover getting me hung up myself....I have a Crane front diff cover and you can get the new ones from www.raingler.com but after owning PSC rockrings, Crane diff covers, BTF, and now I am getting a Rockcrusher...I would go Rockcrusher b/c for not much more than the price of one Crane you can get 2 Rockcrushers from www.northridge4x4.com. They are all outstading diff covers IMO, but from a money stand point...the Crane diff covers are just overpriced!
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #11
Buckeye Bill

Thanks for good information. That is why I keep coming back!!!
Buckeye Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
Dave@ROKMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgrip
No products until Aug 06!!!! http://highclearance.com/order/index.htm
Not true - Crane D44's are actually being machined now, and shipments are begining next week. With the D30's being cast now...

Crane is local to us, and we have a great relationship with them - so we usually have the good info...

(The August date on the website is old, and referred to Aug 2005 which has already passed)

Here are pics of the new covers:

Both RockCrusher and the Cranes are great covers - Different price points and different features differentiate them - both have a lifetime gaurentee.
Unread 12-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@ROKMEN
Not true - Crane D44's are actually being machined now, and shipments are begining next week. With the D30's being cast now...

Crane is local to us, and we have a great relationship with them - so we usually have the good info...

(The August date on the website is old, and referred to Aug 2005 which has already passed)

Here are pics of the new covers:

Both RockCrusher and the Cranes are great covers - Different price points and different features differentiate them - both have a lifetime gaurentee.
Thanks for the info on Crane-must be time for them to update their site.AUG-Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec-5 months old.I agree they make 1st rate stuff!!
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #14
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have hammered mine out about 6 times now, and that's even with using a Warn cover on my 44. It's protects the bottom portion, but I even manage to smash the top section of mine on the rocks.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the Warns for that reason, and because they load up with mud (I can't avoid it around here...argh) and trap heat resulting in hard dried mud sandwiched in there all the time.

Love the Cranes, Rockcrushers and BTF's, wont have that problem with one of those.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.