Defroster breaks windshield - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Defroster breaks windshield

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #31
bluejeep2088

i just use the regular window cleaner already in the jeep. Anything wet hitting that small amount of ice will melt it, then push away with the wipers.

bluejeep2088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #32
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My cousin had the opposite happen in the summer. He was washing his car in the summer heat. When the cold water hit the windshield it shattered. So yeah, temperature extremes will kill a windshield.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 01:39 PM   #33
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. Interesting.
In over 30 years and dozens of vehicles I've owned I've never had (or seen) that happen. Even when I lived in Canada. And I'm a toss hot water on it kind of guy. I always thought that was a myth - no one I've ever met has actually had this happen or actually seen it happen. (Everyone seems to have heard a story, but never firsthand...) And No, I'm not calling BS, I'm admitting to learning something new!

Maybe I'll quit doing the hot water thing now...
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #34
anebrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo
My cousin had the opposite happen in the summer. He was washing his car in the summer heat. When the cold water hit the windshield it shattered. So yeah, temperature extremes will kill a windshield.

That's what happened with my Lincoln LS only I wasn't washing it? It was hotter then he** outside and I had the air on and the window just cracked while sitting in a parking lot! Scared the crap out of me!

And as far as winter goes, just do what was mentioned earlier and you "shouldn't" have a problem, turn the defroster on as soon as you start the car.
anebrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #35
silvrjeepr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame
Wow. Interesting.
In over 30 years and dozens of vehicles I've owned I've never had (or seen) that happen. Even when I lived in Canada. And I'm a toss hot water on it kind of guy. I always thought that was a myth - no one I've ever met has actually had this happen or actually seen it happen. (Everyone seems to have heard a story, but never firsthand...) And No, I'm not calling BS, I'm admitting to learning something new!

Maybe I'll quit doing the hot water thing now...
I was the same way until last winter. I turned the defroster on to get rid of a little frost (engine was cold when I turned it on and went inside for a sec). When I came out, I had a 6 inch long crack in the windshield. It has since grown from the bottom of my windshield to the top...
silvrjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 05:08 PM   #36
Ichabod1960
Have Jeep, Will Travel

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james509
Have you ever heard of this before? I was setting in my 2005 X letting the ice melt on the windshield the other night, and heard a sharp snap. The glass broke right where the defroster was blowing on it. I have a 5 or 6 inch long crack now. Has this happen to anyone else?
I had it happen to me in Snowshoe, WV on my old Buick Station Wagon. Cold windshield with ice on it, to lazy to clean it off with a scraper, so I started it up and turned on the defroster on high and walked back inside. Ten minutes later and I had a crack the entire length of the window.

I'm waiting for the LJ's windshield to crack this week. I've got three big chips in the windshield and all it will take is a good temperature differential for those chips to connect.

I guess the moral of the story is to clean off the windshield first and only use the defroster on the cool and warm settings. It seems to work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
There's a great lower division class called "Writing for Effective Communications so you don't go through the rest of your life confusing everyone who reads what you write 101" at Washington State University. I highly recommend it.
Ichabod1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #37
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

the reason the A/C turns on when you hit the defroster is to keep it lubricated and running properly for use in the summer. it's only on for about a minute or 2.

I read that in a owners manual yeras ago when I had my first XJ. I've had 3 Jeeps since then and they all have done the same thing. 2XJ's, 1 TJ and the wife commmander all.

reason number 321354681321356003 why I like Jeeps. advanced engineering.(ok not always)
Unread 12-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #38
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower
the reason the A/C turns on when you hit the defroster is to keep it lubricated and running properly for use in the summer. it's only on for about a minute or 2.

I read that in a owners manual yeras ago when I had my first XJ. I've had 3 Jeeps since then and they all have done the same thing. 2XJ's, 1 TJ and the wife commmander all.

reason number 321354681321356003 why I like Jeeps. advanced engineering.(ok not always)

No, it's not.
The reason A/C comes on with defrost (or should be turned on for defrost in cars where you can manually switch the a/c on whenever you want) is because it improves the defogging ability about 6000%. The A/C is an excellent dehumidifier - a side effect of how it works causes it to remove moisture from the air. In cool damp climates, or with a carload of people, especially wet people, a defroster with no a/c will have a very hard time keeping the windows clear - if it even can. (Same thing with using recirc by the way.) Any time you see a car with badly fogged up windows going down the highway, you can bet good money they have selected recirc, and if they have a separate A/C switch its probably off. And in the morning when the defroster is having a tough time defogging the inside of the glass - just switch on that A/C and presto! it clears in seconds!

And it's not "only on for a minute or two." There is nothing in the control circuit for that. It will kick on and off according to a thermostat in the plenum (keeps it from freezing up the evaporator) and/or a pressure switch (also keeps from freezing up, and from overpressuring and blowing a hose.)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.