Defroster breaks windshield - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Defroster breaks windshield

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 12-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #16
ImSuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T.
To be honest I'm not sure, I don't know much about that.

But Wrangler heaters are hot as hell as they are. Sometimes the plastic gets pretty hot to touch on the vents.
no joke, my freakin heater basically shoots flames out, i only have it on high the fist five minutes im in the jeep so it warms up real quick but then i put the blower to the lowest setting, because it gets really hot in there, im surprised the plastic doesnt melt sometime

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #59
[QUOTE=Grewe02]No such thing. Eat **** and die.[/QUOTE]

lifted with some extra's
......sold
ImSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #17
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are making me paranoid, I have a new glass, and it just started snowing.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #18
65thTJ
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check with your insurance, sometimes it is covered for free. It is here in FL, and no, it did not raise my premium.
Unread 12-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #19
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nationwide covers it, it's who I go with. But I'm pretty sure the way mine worked out I didn't get it in my contract with them. (To have it replaced for free if anything happened to it).

I forget why, but basically my insurance is outrageous. 140$ a month for full coverage, they taked on 30$ a month for a year because I let my insurance lapse for 3 days.

Bastards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #20
bee guz

glass breaking

They have a lot of trouble with this in alaska, My brother used to live there, He said if you started you car and didn't put the blower on while the car was warming up the sudden hit of hot air on the windshied would break the glass.

So the practice there was to leave the blower on, while the car is warming up, that way it get gradual heat, not a hot sot to the glass....
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #21
snccoulter

check a few more places for prices i spent 125 on my new windshield installed
()_) ()_)----)_)
98 Sahara - Soft Top 6" Lift - Sway Bar Quick Disconnects - Pro Comp33-12.5-R15
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you are finished. Benjamin Franklin[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Red"][URL="www.coulters-inc.com"]WWW.Coulters-Inc.com[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
Check out [url]WWW.UTAH4x4CLUB.COM[/url]
snccoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #22
bsruther

I guess I'll have to add one more thing to the list of things that can go wrong with my Jeep. It's beginning to get long.

If it happened to me I'd prolly wait until spring to get it fixed.
bsruther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #23
DeesTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Leave your defroster ON when you start the jeep...that way the windshield warms up slowly with the jeep...

if you turn it to "defrost" once the jeep is warmed up you are almost sure to crack a "structurally compromised" windshield.
Unread 12-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #24
Combatsylvania

Quote:
What's this liquid DeIcer stuff?
They sell it all over up here (Canada). Its a spray you squirt on, and it melts the ice...

My brain is running at 25% today so I can't remember the active ingredient.. I think its alcohol tho..
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 09:28 AM   #25
Brew461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatsylvania
They sell it all over up here (Canada). Its a spray you squirt on, and it melts the ice...

My brain is running at 25% today so I can't remember the active ingredient.. I think its alcohol tho..
You are correct, the active ingredient is alcohol, denatured. At least in the brands I have used,
Brew461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #26
Brian P

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What's this liquid DeIcer stuff?

One brand is Prestone De-Icer

Brian Phillips
05 Unlimited
Brian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #27
james509
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeesTJ
Leave your defroster ON when you start the jeep...that way the windshield warms up slowly with the jeep...

if you turn it to "defrost" once the jeep is warmed up you are almost sure to crack a "structurally compromised" windshield.
Thats how I did it. Still cracked anyway.
315/75/16 BFG KM2s on 16/8 AR-636
3 in. OME 1 1/2 in. spacers ft. 1.25 JKS body lift Warn XD9000I Currie control arms JKS discos
Dana 44 rear ARBs front & rear Warn Bumpers
james509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #28
nomad_aviator

Isopropyl alcohol, i just use aircraft de-icer on my windshield. I just take it out of the hangar, that stuff is pricey but it works. Just beware to keep it off your paint.
Unread 12-06-2006, 07:30 AM   #29
MadManMIke
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What is with you guys --I have full coverage on all my glass --it only costs me an extra FOUR dollars per year --in the last five years Ive had three windshield replaced on my Jeep and one in my Truck-- that is the cheapest way to go --best of all --making claims on glass breakage DOES NOT increase the cost of you insurance
Unread 12-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #30
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First winter I had mine I turned the defroster on and it cracked about 8 inches long where the county and state decals go. Dealer wouldn't cover it.

I'm careful about using the defroster now with the dial fully on heat. I leave it in the 1/2 to 3/4 range as the dang heater gets soo hot.

Never had a problem since. There could've been a chip there before, but I don't like shelling out 180 bucks for a windshield so I'm more careful now.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.