Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Death wobbles

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  badassr1 
#1 ·
I know there are a whole bunch of threads on this but i was curious if someone could just list off the possible problems that can cause it. Just the things that either need to fixed, tightened, or added. Thank you

#2 ·
Chadillac1212 said:
I know there are a whole bunch of threads on this but i was curious if someone could just list off the possible problems that can cause it. Just the things that either need to fixed, tightened, or added. Thank you
Jack up the front end and place it on blocks, jiggle the tires up and down - and side to side to look for anything that might be loose. Look at your tie rods, track bar and all the connection for unusual movement.

There are times when you go out to the trails and bend a track bar or tie rod so look for that. If it looks all good then take it in to get a front end alignment (or do that yourself).

And remember that the bigger the tire the more prown to mis-alignment and death wobble.

#3 ·
Bad steering stabilizer caused it on the XJ.

#4 ·
The previous owner of my jeep had only put 2" springs on for the lift. The tires he had on it were somewhat chopped up and mis matched. They were all BFG AT's but some had a lot more tread than others, not to mention one of them was an old school tire that had a different side wall.

After putting on a new lift and relocating the trac bar, The death wobble was gone. All I noticed after that was some vibes in that speed area where the death wobble had occourred. Then I replaced the tires and had an alignment and the vibes seemed to disappear.

I originally replaced the stearing stablizer since the guys at the 4wheelparts store said the stock one was only good for about 15k miles. It helped some and made the wobble not quite as violent, but it was still there. I also lowered the pressure in my tires which helped with the death wobble, but isn't real good on your tires

#5 ·
27mtaylor said:
I originally replaced the steering stabilizer since the guys at the 4wheelparts store said the stock one was only good for about 15k miles. It helped some and made the wobble not quite as violent, but it was still there. I also lowered the pressure in my tires which helped with the death wobble, but isn't real good on your tires
He is only making a sale telling you to change it out at 15K. It's not like changing the oil.

Yes they do wear out but I changed out mind at 89K and noticed steering problems after increasing the tires size to 33s.

If yours is worn then change it out but try to get a front end alignment.

#8 ·
I dont have any steering dampner on mine and I have 9 inch springs and 35's and never get no death wobble. Make sure your alignments good. You want a good 7 degrees caster on you rig. Make sure everything is tight like its be mentioned. Upgraded track bars FTW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.