Death wobbles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death wobbles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Chadillac1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Death wobbles

I know there are a whole bunch of threads on this but i was curious if someone could just list off the possible problems that can cause it. Just the things that either need to fixed, tightened, or added. Thank you

Unread 01-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

2015 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillac1212
I know there are a whole bunch of threads on this but i was curious if someone could just list off the possible problems that can cause it. Just the things that either need to fixed, tightened, or added. Thank you
Jack up the front end and place it on blocks, jiggle the tires up and down - and side to side to look for anything that might be loose. Look at your tie rods, track bar and all the connection for unusual movement.

There are times when you go out to the trails and bend a track bar or tie rod so look for that. If it looks all good then take it in to get a front end alignment (or do that yourself).

And remember that the bigger the tire the more prown to mis-alignment and death wobble.
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bad steering stabilizer caused it on the XJ.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
27mtaylor
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The previous owner of my jeep had only put 2" springs on for the lift. The tires he had on it were somewhat chopped up and mis matched. They were all BFG AT's but some had a lot more tread than others, not to mention one of them was an old school tire that had a different side wall.

After putting on a new lift and relocating the trac bar, The death wobble was gone. All I noticed after that was some vibes in that speed area where the death wobble had occourred. Then I replaced the tires and had an alignment and the vibes seemed to disappear.

I originally replaced the stearing stablizer since the guys at the 4wheelparts store said the stock one was only good for about 15k miles. It helped some and made the wobble not quite as violent, but it was still there. I also lowered the pressure in my tires which helped with the death wobble, but isn't real good on your tires
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

2015 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27mtaylor
I originally replaced the steering stabilizer since the guys at the 4wheelparts store said the stock one was only good for about 15k miles. It helped some and made the wobble not quite as violent, but it was still there. I also lowered the pressure in my tires which helped with the death wobble, but isn't real good on your tires
He is only making a sale telling you to change it out at 15K. It's not like changing the oil.

Yes they do wear out but I changed out mind at 89K and noticed steering problems after increasing the tires size to 33s.

If yours is worn then change it out but try to get a front end alignment.
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The most common causes are out of balance front tires or loose track bar.

You can easily diagnose a loose track bar by watching both of the mounting points while someone turns the wheel back and forth. You'll see the slop if there is any.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
freedom5
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
The most common causes are out of balance front tires or loose track bar.

You can easily diagnose a loose track bar by watching both of the mounting points while someone turns the wheel back and forth. You'll see the slop if there is any.
x2 on the track bar(front)
freedom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I dont have any steering dampner on mine and I have 9 inch springs and 35's and never get no death wobble. Make sure your alignments good. You want a good 7 degrees caster on you rig. Make sure everything is tight like its be mentioned. Upgraded track bars FTW
badassr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.