Death Wobble is scarier with 37s... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble is scarier with 37s...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 11-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
TJe0454
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble is scarier with 37s...

So it all begun a couple months ago when i did many things i was told not to do. 1. military tires, 2. 16.5" wheels, 3. wheel adapters, 4. WJ knuckle swap.

Since i did all of that work, i have had some crazy death wobble that i could only get rid of by toeing it out a s**t ton. but it wore the inside (closest to jeep) of the tires down so that they look like drag slicks. only the inside half! i thought it was some play in my track bar/track bar mount, but now i have no idea!!

Possible causes (i believe)
1. wheel adapters
2. ball joints (gotta be uppers since i replaced the lowers with new WJ ones)
3. pinion angle.
4. idfk.

TJe0454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Tires that are super out of balance can trigger DW.
blubaru2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
TJe0454
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thats another thing... i tried balancing them when i worked at a tire center, but nobody will balance them...but they dw at low speeds too (sometimes 10mph), then the balancing would have little to no impact.
TJe0454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

no point in trying to balance them now that they are destroyed.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
CrankyGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

there are lots of us with wheel spacers that don't get DW.

and when you say pinion, i assume you mean caster. you should be under 5 positive for 37s.

and everything connected to the front axle is suspect.
what are you running for steering?
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
RaymoreRubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJe0454 View Post
thats another thing... i tried balancing them when i worked at a tire center, but nobody will balance them...but they dw at low speeds too (sometimes 10mph), then the balancing would have little to no impact.

I was getting early signs of DW at about 10-15 mph on my 36". I took it in to have it balanced and 2 of my wheels were off by over 20 ounces! Needless to say... Balancing helps a lot.
RaymoreRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ball joints , death wobble , military jeep , track bar jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.