Death Wobble Poll: CA Bushings - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble Poll: CA Bushings

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

View Poll Results: When you experienced DW, what kind of front CA bushings were you running?
Stock OE Clevite (rubber) 118 73.29%
Poly 9 5.59%
Mix of Rubber and Poly 7 4.35%
Johnny Joints 8 4.97%
Mix of Johnny Joints and Rubber 9 5.59%
Heim Joints or other-brand articulating joint (RC, RE, etc.) 3 1.86%
Mix of Heim/other joints and Rubber 7 4.35%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrasm View Post
I had DW due to wallowed out track bar hole on axle and poorly balanced swampers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post
Ok! But would you still mind contributing to the poll with the information regarding your CA bushings?

-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #17
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I fought with DW for quite some time. In the spirit of the OP's intentions for this thread, and with regards to bushing's, the upper bushings on the axle end were, in my estimate, the major contributor in my case. I ended up swapped them out in favor of the Currie/Johnny Joint style. This resulted in the single biggest improvement to my DW at the time, though it wasn't completely gone. Soon after that, when the budget allowed, I swapped out all 4 of the front control arms to Currie with Johnny Joints.

I need to add though, that my steering linkage was complicit, too, and I changed it out to Currie. The front factory track bar was also complicit so I swapped it out in favor of a JKS...and, before I finally got the DW resolved, I'd completely worn out the ends of the new Currie drag link... One end was due to my "over greasing it", the other was a victim of the DW...

DW was in my case, vicious. To minimize further damage to my front end, each time I repaired/replaced something, I'd go for a test drive only to discover the DW was still there. So, I would set the toe "out" 1-1/4". I was taught that by doing this, the DW symptoms will disappear, and they did. The down side is whatever caused the DW was still there, and driving with the toe out that far made driving a white knuckle affair. However it would buy me time for my repair budget to get beefed up again, without continuing to wear out my front end components faster than I could replace them...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #18
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrasm View Post
I had DW due to wallowed out track bar hole on axle and poorly balanced swampers.
X2 on the wallowed out hole and me it was a set of 33x10.50 tires that I think were never balanced right. Made me think tall skinny squishy tires had something to do with it also.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #19
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
X2 on the wallowed out hole and me it was a set of 33x10.50 tires that I think were never balanced right. Made me think tall skinny squishy tires had something to do with it also.
As I went through the DW, I never balanced my tires. Only AFTER the DW was completely gone did I have them balanced. And I keep them balanced...it's been said before, but perhaps it needs repeating that out of balance tires don't cause DW. Out of balance tires wear out the front end components, that causes DW. So yes, I agree that tires have a part in the movie...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #20
jbjeepfever
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So if the DW had nothing to do with CA bushings and still want a persons poll, then exactly what facts are you on the hunt for about DW and CA bushings? Would seem your findings would be a little skewed
jbjeepfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #21
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
it's been said before, but perhaps it needs repeating that out of balance tires don't cause DW.
Out of round tires do.
Unread 05-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #22
speeduck
2005 TJ Wrangler 

New jeep, 26 thousand mules, budget boost puck lift, never intend to wheel this jeep, (to satisfy the wife) its her driver.... Now its her slow driver, any bumps at 50, and DW ..... Ughh. budget boost coming out and going to do a chaep body lift... Gross.
speeduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeduck
New jeep, 26 thousand mules, budget boost puck lift, never intend to wheel this jeep, (to satisfy the wife) its her driver.... Now its her slow driver, any bumps at 50, and DW ..... Ughh. budget boost coming out and going to do a chaep body lift... Gross.
Do you have it in your mind that removing the budget boost for a body lift is going to cure DW? If so, you might want to read up some more....
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Swapping in poly bushings reduced my DW to an occasional shimmy.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #25
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeduck View Post
Unless your talking about a JK in the TJ section thats not a new Jeep... time affects rubber and any TJ/LJ is at least six years old. I doubt the BB is the real root issue, you might want to take a closer look.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #26
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When I got new tires, it was 90% gone, When I got new ball joint, TRE, outer TR, and draglink from MOOG it was 100% gone. I do run a dual steering stabilizer on 31 in tires though....
gatesjeff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #27
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My last case of DW was worn bushings on my front lower Rock Krawler Control arms. I replaced the bushings with Johnny Joints.
Unread 05-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeduck View Post
Senőr I would very much love to have your 26,000 mules.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #29
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Senőr I would very much love to have your 26,000 mules.

LMAO!

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #30
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I never got DW with all stock front suspension components running 33s with 150k on them. It did have a nasty shimmy at about 45 though.

With currie arms, currie trackbar, and ZJ tie rod the shimmy is almost completely gone. I'm thinking a johnny joint housing kit to get rid of the last of the rubber bushings will really tighten up the front end, new ball joints will probably help too. I did notice a big change in just changing the control arms to curries though, rubber bushings have no place in the jeep that actually gets wheeled. IMO

Tags
dw , death wobble , control arm , bushings , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.