Death wobble on left side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death wobble on left side

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 08-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Hornet4x4

Death wobble on left side

So when I'm driving down the road and hit a bump all of the sudden I get death wobble on the left front only and then when I slow down to under 15mph it stops and then I can drive again. I'm new to Jeeps and I know the track bar has a lot to do with it. I have a 4.5inch rubicon lift. Do I need to have the heim joint on the track bar replaced? And do I have to have the frame mount or body mount replaced where the track bar mounts to pivot?

Hornet4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you think it is really only limited to one side, I'd focus on things that are semi-isolated to that side. Something like a bad ball joint or unit bearing. Don't see how a lot of the traditional stuff like trackbars, control arm bushings, TREs, etc. would only affect one side.
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
alldone
1930 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet4x4 View Post
I'm new to Jeeps and I know the track bar has a lot to do with it.
Reading stories on here you'll see that there are a ton of other things besides the track bar - although it seems to be the most common.

In your case, could you have thrown a wheel weight on that one tire? Just a thought.

Otherwise, and to keep things simple, maybe you could have someone turn the ignition key one click to free up your steering wheel while you lay under the front of your Jeep. (don't start the engine) Then have them jerk the wheel back and forth as far as they can in rapid succession while you carefully eyeball each bushing connection for movement.

another two cents
alldone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Id try and narrow it down before you start replacing stuff, these videos might help:

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So then, no one has told you how dumb those videos are yet? Nice steering.
Unread 08-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
alldone
1930 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
So then, no one has told you how dumb those videos are yet?.
You're joking, right?
alldone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I read this post the other day, and I'm still trying wrap my head around getting DW on just one side. Unless it's a bad wheel or tire and isn't bad enough to transmit it thru the axle to the other side.

Quote:
So then, no one has told you how dumb those videos are yet? Nice steering.
Someone posted the first one in another thread a while back...couldn't make myself watch past the first couple minutes. The steering geometry is just so far off, that thing must be miserable to drive (and I've yet been able to figure out how you are supposed to properly set the toe on that Rusty's steering)

He did however provide good advice in his post when he said to try to narrow it down before you just start replacing parts.

Do the steering test that alldone suggested. Pay close attention to the movement in things. Watch all the TREs, both ends of the track bar and all ends of your control arms. There should be little or no visible play in any of these things.
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBinNM View Post
I read this post the other day, and I'm still trying wrap my head around getting DW on just one side. Unless it's a bad wheel or tire and isn't bad enough to transmit it thru the axle to the other side.

Someone posted the first one in another thread a while back...couldn't make myself watch past the first couple minutes. The steering geometry is just so far off, that thing must be miserable to drive (and I've yet been able to figure out how you are supposed to properly set the toe on that Rusty's steering)

He did however provide good advice in his post when he said to try to narrow it down before you just start replacing parts.

Do the steering test that alldone suggested. Pay close attention to the movement in things. Watch all the TREs, both ends of the track bar and all ends of your control arms. There should be little or no visible play in any of these things.
Are those the videos where the guy points to the steering and doesn't know the difference between a draglink and the tie rod?
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldone View Post
You're joking, right?
No, I am not joking. Those videos are a joke, except it didn't make me laugh... it made me cringe. At least for as long as I could take it before I closed my computer screen.
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBinNM View Post

He only has DW on one side because he can't see both sides at the same time while driving. There's a fair bit of stuff that has to be wrong including not being able to drive the vehicle very far that would have to be true in order to get DW only on one side.
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, I am not joking. Those videos are a joke, except it didn't make me laugh... it made me cringe. At least for as long as I could take it before I closed my computer screen.
I had a moron elsewhere try to slap me around with those videos over a discussion concerning "proper" bolt size relative to hole diameter and why that causes DW.

I couldn't make it through more than a few minutes before the glaring mistakes and horrible geometry got the best of me.
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
He only has DW on one side because he can't see both sides at the same time while driving...
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What does it matter if my steering is loose, backwards, or upside down for that matter? I didn't make the video to show how cool me and my Jeep are. I made the videos to show others what to look for when they are experiencing death wobble.

I think its a shame that people assume that bullying is only something that happens in schools. Apparently you guys never grew up and are the same bully's that you used to be. Or maybe you were the ones being pushed around back then and now you are trying to harass others because you can hide behind your computer screens. If you'll remember, the reason a bully says hateful things is because he has a low self esteem and feels empowerment by demeaning others. That's all I will say as I don't want to be a bully myself.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleepinJeep View Post
What does it matter if my steering is loose, backwards, or upside down for that matter? I didn't make the video to show how cool me and my Jeep are. I made the videos to show others what to look for when they are experiencing death wobble.

I think its a shame that people assume that bullying is only something that happens in schools. Apparently you guys never grew up and are the same bully's that you used to be. Or maybe you were the ones being pushed around back then and now you are trying to harass others because you can hide behind your computer screens. If you'll remember, the reason a bully says hateful things is because he has a low self esteem and feels empowerment by demeaning others. That's all I will say as I don't want to be a bully myself.
You must have grown up in the no winners no losers generation where everyone gets a participation trophy and a pat on the butt for just showing up with their clothes on right side out.

That isn't bullying, that's an opinion based on the merit of your "product".

Your information is partially accurate, you are either mistaken as to the name of the parts involved, or don't know any better, and if you built that mess, you need some more practice. None of that is really bad, it just takes away from the message and the only folks that will pay attention to it are the less ignorant and if they go away with the completeness of your "teaching", they have only wound up the same ignorant.

So, were it me, I'd rather you learn some more, fine tune the presentation, and then quit referring to them as "awesome" and "the best" because they are neither.
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleepinJeep View Post
In all seriousness, if you are going to post your own content on a site, with the intent of helping others, you owe it to the content viewers to have the most accurate information possible. Pointing to your tie rod and calling it a drag link does NOTHING to help a new Jeep owner who is clueless. They already admit they don't know what there problem is by posting up a thread looking for help. You do not need to confuse the issue by feeding them disinformation. Do the right thing....unlink that video now. You aren't helping anyone and you are making yourself look rediculous, to say the least.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.