Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

the death wobble is killing me!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SolidBrass 
#1 ·
ok so iv had my current jeep (03 rubicon) for a lil over a year now and since iv had my lift on it i just cant get ridd of this death wobble. Im running a RC 6in short arm lift on 35-12.50-15.. iv upgraded to a beefy steering stabilizor, replaced drag link and tie rod to a massive ruggid ridge setup, have done countless front end alignments, tried playing around with tire pressures, and adjusted and tightened front and rear track bar to no success.:confused:

iv had lifted jeeps in the past and even this same lift on a prior jeep and never had this problem.. it will track fine on smooth road but if im traveling at the magic 40-45mph and hit a bump im all over the road having to slam on the brake in fear of fliping from the violent side to side wobbling...

if anyone else has had this problem or has it any tips would be much appreciated!

#5 ·
your title is a bad pun.

pics of your drag link vs track bar angle would be helpful. if they are not parallel it can cause DW
yea thats what i had thought in the begining so thats why i got ridd of the stock "y" link tie rod and drag link and got one that the drag link is at the end with the tie rod to make a "v" and brought it really close to being parralel helped a butt ton but still have the shimmy when i hit big bumps.. :(

#3 ·
I had the same problem but with my 33x12.5x15s. I eventually bought a $70 tire balancer and weights from Harbor Freight and balanced the wheels myself. It was amazing how death wobble went away! I had tried before to go to NTB or Dobbs (local STL chain kind of like NTB) to get wheels balanced and they never did them right. If you tried everything with suspension, track bar, etc and you can't figure it out, look into the balancer: Portable Wheel Balancer

Hope this helped a bit!

#8 · (Edited)
Lower track mount # Uno suspect. Not stock I assume? Wallowed out mount holes on the lower track bar mount? Bushing solid? If stock bushing, they may look fine but fail under stress and be shot. I found the rear facing hole was "oval" or simply not round on the relocation bracket. Replaced it with adjustable bar, and no DW since. However, i'm starting to think it is my tire balance problem that brought it to light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.