death wobble help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > death wobble help

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
jkjrngn
2006 TJ Wrangler 

death wobble help

recently i lifted my 06 wrangler sport 2 in with a budget boost, and now i have the death wobble, i had it a little before but now is practically undrivable, i have upgraded my steering stabilizer and re-balanced my tires, while i was getting the wheels rebalanced i had them check them alignment and it was off, i didnt have them correct it yet tho, i also have noticed this
does this mean my bushings are bad, there r no other signs of movement under the frond end due to no shinny parts that would show movement, my ball joints and u joints check out ok, any suggestions,

jkjrngn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjrngn View Post
recently i lifted my 06 wrangler sport 2 in with a budget boost, and now i have the death wobble, i had it a little before but now is practically un-drivable, i have upgraded my steering stabilizer and re-balanced my tires, while i was getting the wheels rebalanced i had them check them alignment and it was off, i didnt have them correct it yet tho, i also have noticed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnrLiCE3ss does this mean my bushings are bad, there r no other signs of movement under the frond end due to no shinny parts that would show movement, my ball joints and u joints check out ok, any suggestions,
You either have a bad bushing or the bolt is too small. You might have to increase the bolt to fit the trac-bar bushing and drill the axle hole to fit.
There should not be that much movement on the trac bar
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
amiller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bad bushing at the axle end of the track bar. I just ran through the same thing. I used the Moog "problem solver" bushing part #K3147 available at many parts stores. about $15. Well worth it. Nothing that an air chisel, a ball joint press, and 10 minutes cant fix.
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent video! Now after you replace that bushing, do the steering test again, and look for similar movements at the drag ling to tie rod, drag link to pitman arm, tie rod ends at the knuckles, track bar at the frame, control arm bushings upper & lower, frame end and axle end. After each repair/replacement do the steering test until you can eliminate each item from the list.

You've got to remember that now that you've successfully identified the trackbar/axle end busing, any excessive play in other bushings might not have surfaced because the bulk of the slop was surfacing there at the track bar to axle connection. However, after you change that bushing you must do the test again, because other worn out bushings may reveal themselves after the track bar is tight...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Excellent video! Now after you replace that bushing, do the steering test again, and look for similar movements at the drag ling to tie rod, drag link to pitman arm, tie rod ends at the knuckles, track bar at the frame, control arm bushings upper & lower, frame end and axle end. After each repair/replacement do the steering test until you can eliminate each item from the list.

You've got to remember that now that you've successfully identified the trackbar/axle end busing, any excessive play in other bushings might not have surfaced because the bulk of the slop was surfacing there at the track bar to axle connection. However, after you change that bushing you must do the test again, because other worn out bushings may reveal themselves after the track bar is tight...
I agree 100%
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
jkjrngn
2006 TJ Wrangler 

alright i picked up a new bushing at advanced auto parts and it is installed, seems to have alot less movement, will do another steering check tomorrow, but the balk of the death wobble has appeared to be gone, for now
jkjrngn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjrngn View Post
alright i picked up a new bushing at advanced auto parts and it is installed, seems to have alot less movement, will do another steering check tomorrow, but the balk of the death wobble has appeared to be gone, for now...
I hope you're going to be that lucky! DW can be a friggin' nightmare, and quite expensive to resolve. Worth remembering is that every episode of DW visits incredible forces upon the front end components, and it doesn't take long to wear out any newly replaced parts, let alone already worn out parts.

Keeping the front end tight, and the tires balanced will pay off in the long run.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2006 , death wobble , sport , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.