death wobble help - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > death wobble help

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
jkjrngn
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 49
death wobble help

recently i lifted my 06 wrangler sport 2 in with a budget boost, and now i have the death wobble, i had it a little before but now is practically undrivable, i have upgraded my steering stabilizer and re-balanced my tires, while i was getting the wheels rebalanced i had them check them alignment and it was off, i didnt have them correct it yet tho, i also have noticed this
does this mean my bushings are bad, there r no other signs of movement under the frond end due to no shinny parts that would show movement, my ball joints and u joints check out ok, any suggestions,

jkjrngn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler
 
CRAWLING 98's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: , Kalifornia
Posts: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjrngn View Post
recently i lifted my 06 wrangler sport 2 in with a budget boost, and now i have the death wobble, i had it a little before but now is practically un-drivable, i have upgraded my steering stabilizer and re-balanced my tires, while i was getting the wheels rebalanced i had them check them alignment and it was off, i didnt have them correct it yet tho, i also have noticed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnrLiCE3ss does this mean my bushings are bad, there r no other signs of movement under the frond end due to no shinny parts that would show movement, my ball joints and u joints check out ok, any suggestions,
You either have a bad bushing or the bolt is too small. You might have to increase the bolt to fit the trac-bar bushing and drill the axle hole to fit.
There should not be that much movement on the trac bar
__________________
Group W Bench
CRAWLING 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
amiller
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 854
Bad bushing at the axle end of the track bar. I just ran through the same thing. I used the Moog "problem solver" bushing part #K3147 available at many parts stores. about $15. Well worth it. Nothing that an air chisel, a ball joint press, and 10 minutes cant fix.
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , Sane's Ville
Posts: 2,339
Excellent video! Now after you replace that bushing, do the steering test again, and look for similar movements at the drag ling to tie rod, drag link to pitman arm, tie rod ends at the knuckles, track bar at the frame, control arm bushings upper & lower, frame end and axle end. After each repair/replacement do the steering test until you can eliminate each item from the list.

You've got to remember that now that you've successfully identified the trackbar/axle end busing, any excessive play in other bushings might not have surfaced because the bulk of the slop was surfacing there at the track bar to axle connection. However, after you change that bushing you must do the test again, because other worn out bushings may reveal themselves after the track bar is tight...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?
 
Necromancer_tat's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Posts: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Excellent video! Now after you replace that bushing, do the steering test again, and look for similar movements at the drag ling to tie rod, drag link to pitman arm, tie rod ends at the knuckles, track bar at the frame, control arm bushings upper & lower, frame end and axle end. After each repair/replacement do the steering test until you can eliminate each item from the list.

You've got to remember that now that you've successfully identified the trackbar/axle end busing, any excessive play in other bushings might not have surfaced because the bulk of the slop was surfacing there at the track bar to axle connection. However, after you change that bushing you must do the test again, because other worn out bushings may reveal themselves after the track bar is tight...
I agree 100%
__________________
TJ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...0/index14.html

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
jkjrngn
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 49
alright i picked up a new bushing at advanced auto parts and it is installed, seems to have alot less movement, will do another steering check tomorrow, but the balk of the death wobble has appeared to be gone, for now
jkjrngn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , Sane's Ville
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjrngn View Post
alright i picked up a new bushing at advanced auto parts and it is installed, seems to have alot less movement, will do another steering check tomorrow, but the balk of the death wobble has appeared to be gone, for now...
I hope you're going to be that lucky! DW can be a friggin' nightmare, and quite expensive to resolve. Worth remembering is that every episode of DW visits incredible forces upon the front end components, and it doesn't take long to wear out any newly replaced parts, let alone already worn out parts.

Keeping the front end tight, and the tires balanced will pay off in the long run.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2006 , death wobble , sport , track bar
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.