Death Wobble: Fix First or Upgrade? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble: Fix First or Upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #31
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeLED View Post
I just fixed my DW last month and had the same symptoms as you where the DW only occurred after hitting a bump. My 99TJ had 110k or so on her and so I just decided to replace all the steering related joints as I assumed they were due. I replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link ends, and track bar, and the DW went away.

I think if you replace just one of these, you may buys some time, but may end up having to go back in there to replace the others as it is likely the DW would return.

The job itself was not that hard.

Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree with this also, I currently have hubs that are just starting to go bad, possibly BJs as well, and one upper CA bushing that is absolute toast...I have very similar symptoms to the OP but to a much much lesser degree....if the stars align just right, I can get a full blown DW, super super rare, everything has to be perfect.....but normally it's just the occasional shopping cart wheel when hitting certain bumps.

SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #32
sjaehnen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Track Bar

So I rotated the tires and changed the tire pressure to 32 lbs (if anyone suggests otherwise let me know). Decided today to go ahead and replace the track bar after talking with multiple people they said to start with that. Only 50$ so not too bad but I need a torque wrench. Does anyone know what size the bolt is off hand so I don't go buying the wrong size wrench? and also I what torque?
sjaehnen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #33
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaehnen View Post
So I rotated the tires and changed the tire pressure to 32 lbs (if anyone suggests otherwise let me know). Decided today to go ahead and replace the track bar after talking with multiple people they said to start with that. Only 50$ so not too bad but I need a torque wrench. Does anyone know what size the bolt is off hand so I don't go buying the wrong size wrench? and also I what torque?
A torque wrench should be like a socket wrench....you get the wrench and then you put the appropriate socket on it....at least the ones I'm familiar with are that way. You need one that measures ft lbs. IMO, you don't really need one there, just get it good an tight....I bet I get flamed for that.
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #34
sjaehnen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

lol....you may i've been told the same thing but i've been wanting to get one anyway. but do you know what socket size?
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #35
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lol....you may i've been told the same thing but i've been wanting to get one anyway. but do you know what socket size?
I think someone answered in the other thread....I do not know it off the top of my head. If you are going to do your own work, it might be worth it to invest in a small socket set, even if it's a cheap one.
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #36
sjaehnen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
I think someone answered in the other thread....I do not know it off the top of my head. If you are going to do your own work, it might be worth it to invest in a small socket set, even if it's a cheap one.
Agreed....every man should
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #37
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Agreed....every man should
You can do a whole lot of work yourself on a TJ with little more than a cheap set of sockets and loaner tools from the parts store.

Tags
death wobble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.