Death wobble fix? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death wobble fix?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #16
bdserv
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecsr1 View Post
I beg to differ.... If I hint a bump or small pot hole my jeep would go into wobble.... the only thing I changed was the STEERING STABILIZER.....
(the old one was Rancho and it was 9 years old)

as far as I'm concerned... it plays a part in the WHOLE PICTURE.....

Have a Good Day.....
If you have a cold and you take aspirin it will make you feel better for awhile, but it hasn't cured your cold. The steering stabilizer "fix" for DW is similar.

The real underlying "cause" is more likely to be worn track bar and/or control arm bushings.

bdserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Fairway
2003 TJ Wrangler 

While we are on the subject, does anyone have a good link to a vid of the dry steering test? I poked around for a few minutes but never found a good one. Hoping someone has a good one they can link.
Fairway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
gecsr1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdserv View Post
If you have a cold and you take aspirin it will make you feel better for awhile, but it hasn't cured your cold. The steering stabilizer "fix" for DW is similar.

The real underlying "cause" is more likely to be worn track bar and/or control arm bushings.

Like I said the front end was tight , track bar is fine.... and my Steering Stabilizer was worn....
No more wobbles........

and sometimes aspirins cure your cold.......
gecsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecsr1

I beg to differ.... If I hint a bump or small pot hole my jeep would go into wobble.... the only thing I changed was the STEERING STABILIZER.....
(the old one was Rancho and it was 9 years old)

as far as I'm concerned... it plays a part in the WHOLE PICTURE.....

Have a Good Day.....
I agree that a stabilizer is part of the whole picture.

What I do not agree with it is that it will cause death wobble. I know myself as well as others have driven without them and don't have death wobble.

Sure they help absorb small shakes and prevent some wear on components however they are not a cause or fix of DW. They may mask it or make it less severe but they don't fix whatever is allowing your front end to be non fully constrained.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecsr1

Like I said the front end was tight , track bar is fine.... and my Steering Stabilizer was worn....
No more wobbles........

and sometimes aspirins cure your cold.......
I'm not going to argue whether SS is a "fix" for DW...I've actually been on the "wrong" side of that before and frankly I still agree with you.., but I will tell you this: your control arms are on the way out. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not 6 months from now. But they will deteriorate beyond the capacity of your new SS.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
rubiwrang

The death wobble could originate from anything as small as a worn bushing. Check all of your bolts in your steering, check the bushings, and them make sure you don't have a bent track bar or anything else funky. It's a process of elimination, have someone turn your wheels for
You while your underneath listening and looking for anything grinding or popping.
rubiwrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #22
gecsr1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I will Give the front end another check over... I'll even jack it up and check for worn ball joints, and any looseness... there's always a the possibility that I missed or over looked something... The jeep only has 37,000 miles...

Thanks for the input...
gecsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #23
03RubiTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just pointed a vid camera under my front end. Don't turn on the engine and turn the wheel a little side to side, not so much to move the tires, but just to start moving the steering gear against itself. Any movement you see is too much. Check the tie rod ends, track bar, drag link. Turn on the motor and check the ps pump, too (mine was a little loose because of me). Then jack up the wheels and check the ball joints. Your control arms may be loose too. I think that's about it, except the tire issues. Also, imo the steering stabilizer is to dampen steering feedback from the trail, not from your rig. It seems like half the world thinks they were invented to stop death wobble, although I'll admit I've never had a set of tires that wouldn't balance.

good luck!
03RubiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
ker91

This is scary stuff. I replaced my tie rods and that fixed the problem
ker91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
commander184
2005 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone ever tryed to get a heim or a rubicon express super flex joint on the axle side of the track bar? i have and 05 rubicon on 35's and its just not as stiff as i want it to be, and as i know it can be. i was thinking the superflex joint because you can get it in 10mm (what i have)or 1/2 and could weld it on to the rubicon express track bar i already have, but the ball that has the missaligment spacers is too wide. do yall think a shop or maybe even me could grind it down a couple 1/8ths of an inch to get it to fit? or do yall have a better idea?
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
While we are on the subject, does anyone have a good link to a vid of the dry steering test? I poked around for a few minutes but never found a good one. Hoping someone has a good one they can link.

Here is mine. As you can see, the frame side ball joint, and the axle side bushing is toast. I replaced the axle side bushing, helped about 50% but the frame side bushing is what is causing the other 49%. The remaining 1% is tire balance issues.

I got a new, currie track bar. It will be here friday.
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.