Death Wobble during braking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble during braking?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 08-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
chaz7979
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble during braking?

I have an 03 X that runs smooth as hell and has for 4 years until now. If I am doing over 50 MPH and hit the brakes the front right tire (only the front right) goes into a death wobble until I come off the brake. Is this just an issue with my brakes or could it be something else? Everything else feels tight down there.

chaz7979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
jeepnmike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm no brake expert, but I'm gonna say its a warped/bent rotor. You checked the lugs right?
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
JeepRide
1998 XJ Cherokee 

x2 sounds like warped rotors
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
chaz7979
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will go check the lugs right now. Thanks guys.

How do rotors get warped?
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz7979
I will go check the lugs right now. Thanks guys.

How do rotors get warped?
They can warp from excessive heat or (not really warping) the non uniform buildup of pad material on the rotor surface. Check your bearings while you're at it.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have an 03 X that runs smooth as hell and has for 4 years until now. If I am doing over 50 MPH and hit the brakes the front right tire (only the front right) goes into a death wobble until I come off the brake. Is this just an issue with my brakes or could it be something else? Everything else feels tight down there.
Why do you think it's only the right front?
Unread 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
chaz7979
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can tell that it is only the right front because the shaking is so violent it is clear where it is coming from.

How exactly do I check my bearings? I do know a bit about cars and I am pretty handy, even though I don't know a lot of the little things (ie bearings)
Unread 08-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
am3rican
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
definitely sounds like your rotors are warped and need to be shaved down.
am3rican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3rican
definitely sounds like your rotors are warped and need to be shaved down.
Not really. If it's only the right front, that rules out several things and brings a few more up front and center. Bad rotors will show up in the steering wheel and shake it pretty good.

It could be the TRE at the knuckle because if it's only the RF that's wobbling, then the connection to the other side has to be broken which narrows it down to that TRE. If it was the ones in the tie rod, then he would feel it in the steering wheel through the draglink.

Also, it's very rare for only one rotor to go bad, not impossible, just rare. It could be a combination of a bad rotor though, and a bad wheel bearing.
Unread 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
chaz7979
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I do feel it in the steering wheel pretty good and now that I think about it, I went off the road over the winter and that right front hit a snow mound. Dont blow this out of proportion...I was doing about 3 mph and sliding sideways, the road was frozen and I was trying to stop in the middle of the road and when I came to a stop the jeep slid to the right just from the natural run off shape of the road. It was enough to crack my fender flare but it was so soft and slow I doubt it broke anything mechanical.

My real issue here is that I dont know any good shops in my area and I dont want to get raped if I drop my car off to get fixed. So I am looking for the most obvious issues and what they might cost to fix.
Unread 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I do feel it in the steering wheel pretty good and now that I think about it, I went off the road over the winter and that right front hit a snow mound. Dont blow this out of proportion...I was doing about 3 mph and sliding sideways, the road was frozen and I was trying to stop in the middle of the road and when I came to a stop the jeep slid to the right just from the natural run off shape of the road. It was enough to crack my fender flare but it was so soft and slow I doubt it broke anything mechanical.

My real issue here is that I dont know any good shops in my area and I dont want to get raped if I drop my car off to get fixed. So I am looking for the most obvious issues and what they might cost to fix.
I'm not sure why you want to try and get help and then leave out key bits of info.

Unless the ends are bad in your tie rod, then the left side is shaking as well.

Why don't you have someone ride with you that can watch the tires while you drive with some safety glasses on and see if they can get some more info to help with the diagnosis.

It also might help to know what area you are in.
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
chaz7979
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
I'm not sure why you want to try and get help and then leave out key bits of info.
I guess its because its hard to explain. Its not like the steering wheel shakes all over the place, its more like when it is shaking during breaking and I try and turn I really feel it.

Quote:
Unless the ends are bad in your tie rod, then the left side is shaking as well.
If that is the case the left side is shaking about 1/10 of what the right side is doing.

Quote:
It also might help to know what area you are in.
Boston MA
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
jcm11881
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Death wobble seems to be the most over-used term on this forum. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe DW is caused by a loose trackbar and it is so violent that it only stops when you stop the jeep.
jcm11881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #14
chaz7979
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It can also be caused by improperly balanced tires and in my situation the wobble is that bad. Its so shaky its scary, and I'm not exactly easily scared.
Unread 08-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #15
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Recently got a wobble after doing a 2" BB. I had a brake pulsation and it intensified it after doing the lift. Same thing you describe, @ 50 or so mph and braking. I was under the impression that the stock rotors are composite. I've had issues with Grand Cherokee composite rotors for a few years, I just figured the Wrangler were similar composites. You can also get a warped rotor from going hot to cold. It happened to me, I hit a puddle that caught me by surprise after a few hours of driveing up and down mountains in WV. I had a pulsation all the way home after that... until I swapped rotors.
Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.