Death Wobble Cause? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble Cause?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCoop View Post
Yep. I've got tools, I'm just still learning my Jeep...
Find the right size socket to fit the bolt on the TB axle side and see if it's loose.

JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry I gave so much randomness.. He said he wanted info before he went to the Mechanic.. I was just throwing it out there. IMO I would look at the joint from the Drag to the Pitman as well..... especially if the Tracbar was totally broken .. I was kinda being random for information sake. I will shut up now. I like the advice of getting tools and taking it on yourself. I made the mistake of trusting a mechanic more than once.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll try that.
MzCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted as much info as possible I appreciate it!
I can't get under it right this minute. I will def do that asap and get back to y'all tho.
MzCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #20
mgclark6

OP, did you find/fix the problem? Im starting my search for the cause of my Death Wobble after i installed my 2.5" OME lift of my '05 LJ. Gonna start with track bar and some other info these fine people suggested.
mgclark6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #21
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did you loosen your control arms before putting the lift on? Do you have aftermarket control arms or stock? Have you checked the trackbar bushing? Have you looked at the ball joints, TREs, upper control arm axle bushings? Have you done a dry steering test? If you check all of these parts and do the dry steering test, that should reveal what is loose.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #22
mgclark6

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222
Did you loosen your control arms before putting the lift on? Do you have aftermarket control arms or stock? Have you checked the trackbar bushing? Have you looked at the ball joints, TREs, upper control arm axle bushings? Have you done a dry steering test? If you check all of these parts and do the dry steering test, that should reveal what is loose.
Wow, that was quick! No on loosen control arms, they are stock, new JKS trackbars with new bushings, checked torque-OK, just did dry steer and all looks fine, need to check ball joints, all control arm bushings feel tight (will look into further) what is TRE?
I DID FIND.....right front axel U-joint is bad. Will replace tomorrow.....could this cause wobble?
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It would cause a shimmy but not death wobble. You need to loosen all of your control arm bolts to relieve the bushing of bind. That will help some if your bushings aren't shot. You don't have to take the bolts all the way out, you just need to loosen them enough to relieve the joint.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
mgclark6

Sounds good, I'll try that in the morning and report back. Also gonna replace that axel U-joint and put a new steering stabilizer on (its still stock stabilizer)

Thanks a bunch!
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #25
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Alignment usually makes it go away. Was the original tracbar for a lifted front end? If so, I see where the problem came from.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
mgclark6

Found this awesome link, had to share.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/di...ion-78090.html

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.