Death Wobble Cause? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble Cause?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble Cause?

I have a 2006 Wrangler that I love, but am so freaked out by this death wobble that I'm considering never driving it again. Recently, the track bar snapped out the blue and I had it replaced by a local mechanic shop. About a month or so after getting it back on the road, I started experiencing a shake in the front end that made me think the tires were gonna shake off and I was about to be in a serious wreck. This happened to me 6 times, 4 of them being that intense. Different speeds, I believe initiated by a slight or severe imperfection in the road. So I brought it back to the same shop that replaced the track bar, hoping that they could shed some light. I guess my question is this: does it sound like maybe everything wasn't torqued just right when my track bar was replaced? And that might have caused the DW? The mechanic didn't answer me when I asked if he checked the torque specs in relation to the lift kit the jeep has on it...idk I am no mechanic, but I need to understand why this DW won't happen again with me and my kids in the jeep! Or I will be on the verge of a panic attack every time I get behind the wheel!
Help please?! THANKS

MzCoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCoop View Post
I have a 2006 Wrangler that I love, but am so freaked out by this death wobble that I'm considering never driving it again. Recently, the track bar snapped out the blue and I had it replaced by a local mechanic shop. About a month or so after getting it back on the road, I started experiencing a shake in the front end that made me think the tires were gonna shake off and I was about to be in a serious wreck. This happened to me 6 times, 4 of them being that intense. Different speeds, I believe initiated by a slight or severe imperfection in the road. So I brought it back to the same shop that replaced the track bar, hoping that they could shed some light. I guess my question is this: does it sound like maybe everything wasn't torqued just right when my track bar was replaced? And that might have caused the DW? The mechanic didn't answer me when I asked if he checked the torque specs in relation to the lift kit the jeep has on it...idk I am no mechanic, but I need to understand why this DW won't happen again with me and my kids in the jeep! Or I will be on the verge of a panic attack every time I get behind the wheel!
Help please?! THANKS
Lots of death wobble threads. Dry steer our t to see for loose steering components.. out of balanced tires .. joint from Pittman arm to drag link is the direct opposing force of the trackback.. when you drysteer look for that to have play.. tiered ends or a bad alignment or tires of of toe. You prolly trashed the steering as shock/stabilzer. Fill out your profile and tell us what lift u have and to resize and all that.. sometimes brake calipers hang up but death wobble is scary.. sounds like the real deal. I am on my mobile so sorry for shortness.
Unread 01-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I did read lots and lots of posts on this topic, watched Planman's videos, etc. I have a general understanding, I just want to be more informed when I go in to talk to my mechanic Monday morning. He pointed out a few spots that needed tightening, but I'm just confused as to what was shook loose from the DW and what caused. A bolt on the track bar was loose, I was able to tighten it by hand before I drove it to the shop. Something in the front passenger side tire, and something between the rear tires. Sorry the info is so general, I bought the jeep already lifted thinking that would be better for what I wanted, but I wish I knew more about it now. All I know is that it's a Rough Country lift. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

there is a ball joint that attaches to the pitman arm from the drag link.. above the the adjustment collar . That I would imagine might be loose or have play in it. The control arms could be problematic, worn out bushings. Does the whole front end start shaking? if it did , the stabilizer shock is prolly done for .. depending on how bad it was and often it happened.

Like I said .. You could have out of balanced tires and bad alignment.. Even your shocks could be bad.. It's hard to say without being there. You could have bad tie rod end/ends. It takes a couple of people to usually shake it down.. But typically it's more than one thing as I said before.. If they replaced a tracbar.. the opposing side is prolly worn too. which would be the balljoint I mentioned before. Here is a pic of the basics up front.. I would start with looking at the steering components then check the balance and alignment .. there is roughly 9 major things to check to track it down.. You could watch some vids on the death wobble.. Bleepin Jeep or other vids that have more thorough info.. if you want to call.. I could try and explain more, not sure If I could be of much help.. 904-701-8452
index.jpg

Unread 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

There is a trac bar in the rear of the Jeep too.. if it was lifted , depending on how much lift it should have the trac bar relocation bracket. there are also control arms on the rear axle from the chassis.... upper and lower. Can you tell us what size lift you have approx. That would be very helpful .. If it's a big lift .. Pinion angle might be a problem.. eh.. Do you know if it has a Dropped pitman arm? Does it have stock Control Arms and if not are they adjustable.. Do your axles have adjustable cam/caster bolts? When was the last time the tires were rotated and balanced? You could of worn the tires out or the toe on just one and it could be grabbing..

Lots of these details would be helpful.. People are more inclined to help you if you give them basic information about your Jeep. It makes it harder for us ... that is why we all fill out our basic info..
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
socaldaveh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

6 times?!?! man, it happened to me once and that was enough, I had it towed home and spent that night tightening down everything, found the track bar to axle connection was loose. Problem was gone.
You can read about jeeps all you want, but if you take a jeep that you don't love out on the trail, she'll shake you down just as sure as the the turning of the world. Love keeps her going when she ought to break down, tells you she's hurting before she dies. It's a jeep thing, you probably won't understand.
socaldaveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OP, you are getting rather random advice so far in this thread. Back to your initial question - yes, TB problems, in particular loose bolt on the axle side, are probably the leading cause of DW. Yes, it can be caused by about 20+ other things also, but if TB bolt was finger loose that is almost certainly your problem.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's not a lot of lift, I think 2.5. The whole front end shakes violently. It's hard to hold onto the steering wheel when it happens. My stick shift nearly knocks my knees when it happens. And it continues shaking until I stop. It never happened until I had the track bar replaced. Of course I had that done because it completely snapped.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's not a lot of lift, I think 2.5. The whole front end shakes violently. It's hard to hold onto the steering wheel when it happens. My stick shift nearly knocks my knees when it happens. And it continues shaking until I stop. It never happened until I had the track bar replaced. Of course I had that done because it completely snapped.
That has to give you an idea where to look.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, the first two times were less severe. The last few times it happened I was about 2 miles from home, and thought I could make it home. But every bump in the road made it happen again. Even in the neighborhood at slower speeds. Crazy.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea, the first two times were less severe. The last few times it happened I was about 2 miles from home, and thought I could make it home. But every bump in the road made it happen again. Even in the neighborhood at slower speeds. Crazy.
I'd take Biffgnar's advice.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. The mechanic who's working on it doesn't seem like he wants give me the time of day to discuss it. Frustrating. I read somewhere that after 50 miles you should have the track bar re-torqued...any info on that?
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. The mechanic who's working on it doesn't seem like he wants give me the time of day to discuss it. Frustrating. I read somewhere that after 50 miles you should have the track bar re-torqued...any info on that?
That's a good thing to do. I would also not go back to him, since he doesn't seem to care about you. Do you have a socket set with a ratchet?
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
MzCoop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yep. I've got tools, I'm just still learning my Jeep...
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Buy yourself a decent torque wrench, sockets, and wrenches. If you are broke then go to harbor freight for the tools. You can torque the bolts to spec in a few minutes. No reason to use a mechanic.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
death wobble , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.