JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Death Wobble Braking from 50+ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/death-wobble-braking-50-a-1170649/)

samhay 02-20-2011 12:13 AM

Death Wobble Braking from 50+

Been getting some wobble while braking from 50+ mph to about 25 or 30 mph for a while now but nothing major. Last night driving home, shifted to neutral going 60 mph and got horrible death wobble like my tie rod was about to fall off. Went hard on the brakes and it went away at about 15-20 mph. Suspension is just about on its last leg and not sure if any of the linkages have had any work done. Anyone have any suggestions?

cadencedad 02-20-2011 01:12 AM

mine was a mixture of allignment and the steering stabilizer. The reason i say mixture i replaced and alligned the same time so not sure if the steering stabilizer was a big part. It was leaking so i changed it.. I know allignment plays a huge part. List of the following checks....bent rim,allignment, bad or bubble in the tire, steering stabilizer. ball joints tier rod ends.. Hope i helped

Heath 02-20-2011 01:43 AM

STEERING STABILIZERS NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER FUX DEATH WOBBLE. NEVER.

They will MASK it SOMETIMES, but NEVER fix it.

You probably have some morn front suspension parts. Check all the control arm bushings, and track bar ends, ball joints, and all steering rod ends. Make sure the track bar is tight and the bracket hole isn't ovaled.

KKiowaTJ 02-20-2011 02:28 AM

Might look into having your front rotors turned or replaced. They might have build up on them which will cause wobble while braking. My XJ had that problem and new pads and rotors cured it. Good luck

cadencedad 02-20-2011 02:32 AM

i have herd of mud bulidup causing wheel to wobble too

04Wrangler2000 02-20-2011 07:09 AM

Is it doing it when you begin to brake?

04Wrangler2000 02-20-2011 07:11 AM

Oh I just read that it is when braking. You probably need to get new brakes/rotors.. Had the same issue. Brakes fixed it.

samhay 02-20-2011 08:39 PM

Thanks Everyone! Ill start wrenching when i return from snowboarding in CO and let you know

WranglerAngel05 02-20-2011 09:32 PM

Yeah, if it's when your braking...I used to get horrible shaking like that because of rotor issues. I was never hard on my brakes, I just assumed it was a common problem. It happened within the first 3 years of ownership, but since new rotors, it's been fine ever since.

Now if it's doing that in neutral at 60 mph, that's weird. I had been getting horrible "death wobble" a couple months back - started at between 55-65 mph. It was so bad at times, I thought I would lose it if I didn't slow it down. Thought it was gonna be my stabilizer bar too, but it was my tires! They were worn so inconsistent/ rutted and, therefore, so unbalanced that at a certain speed, it started shaking. They still had decent tread, its just they had worn crooked. New tires did the trick. Still may change the stabilizer bar to be safe.

Heysus 04-26-2012 10:30 AM

Mine STARTED only on braking, this morning was the first time it happened by itself while cruising at 35 - 40 MPH.

I didn't touch the brakes but it started doing the worst rattling / wobbleling I've felt yet. Any suggestions?

many thanks JeepForum!

Heath 04-26-2012 10:56 AM

Check your balljoints really well, along with the other usual suspects.

Acc0919mc 10-05-2013 11:55 PM

i have a similar issue, but mine doesnt shake unless i touch the brakes. i would hit the brakes going about 55 and it would shake like hell! and guess what? if i let off the pedal it doesnt stop! it just keeps going like its trying to kill me or something.

KKiowaTJ 10-06-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acc0919mc (Post 16592881)
i have a similar issue, but mine doesnt shake unless i touch the brakes. i would hit the brakes going about 55 and it would shake like hell! and guess what? if i let off the pedal it doesnt stop! it just keeps going like its trying to kill me or something.

That's the same issue I had two years ago IIRC or how old this thread is. The same thing still fixed it 100% to the day. A new set of pad's and rotor's will solve it. The only other thing would be a bad bushing or slop in the track bar from letting it go and not fixing it asap.

The time now is 07:56 AM.