Death wobble after RCX 2.5" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death wobble after RCX 2.5" lift

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 11-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
brett3xx

Death wobble after RCX 2.5" lift

Ok I just installed a 2.5" RCX on a 06 Rubicon and now it has a death wobble. I kept the same 285s that were on it before the lift and added 1.5" wheels spacers. I removed the front wheel spacers and now its just a little shimmy/wobble at 45mph. I havnt had it aligned yet because it doesnt have adjustable cam bolts. I just ordered adjustable cam bolts so that the alignment shop can adjust the caster and Ill have them check the toe too. I also ordered a 2.2 steering stabilizer and rear track bar bracket that Ill be installing tomorrow as well. I checked the front track bar and it all checks out good. Anyone else have any more ideas on what could be causing the Wobble? I know that with a 4" lift the front track bar mount has to be re-drilled to the right, does this need to be done with the 2.5" as well? Thanks in advance for any input you may have

brett3xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett3xx View Post
Ok I just installed a 2.5" RCX on a 06 Rubicon and now it has a death wobble. I kept the same 285s that were on it before the lift and added 1.5" wheels spacers. I removed the front wheel spacers and now its just a little shimmy/wobble at 45mph. I havnt had it aligned yet because it doesnt have adjustable cam bolts. I just ordered adjustable cam bolts so that the alignment shop can adjust the caster and Ill have them check the toe too. I also ordered a 2.2 steering stabilizer and rear track bar bracket that Ill be installing tomorrow as well. I checked the front track bar and it all checks out good. Anyone else have any more ideas on what could be causing the Wobble? I know that with a 4" lift the front track bar mount has to be re-drilled to the right, does this need to be done with the 2.5" as well? Thanks in advance for any input you may have
This what happened when I lifted. All steering checked out. It was control arms for me. 45mph would point me towards the lowers.

Another guy I know had the same...he put new tires altogether and his went away since last time I talked to him. I am waiting to see how the tires wear in and see if his DW returns....one would imagine that it almost certainly would have to...we'll see.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
brett3xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
This what happened when I lifted. All steering checked out. It was control arms for me. 45mph would point me towards the lowers.

Another guy I know had the same...he put new tires altogether and his went away since last time I talked to him. I am waiting to see how the tires wear in and see if his DW returns....one would imagine that it almost certainly would have to...we'll see.
So your factory control arm bushings were bad? Did you replace them with factory replacement or aftermarket lower arms?
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You have to set the toe in to 1/8" after any lift or you can get DW or any wobble.The wheel spacers just make it more noticeable.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett3xx

So your factory control arm bushings were bad? Did you replace them with factory replacement or aftermarket lower arms?
Yes they were. Might be worth pulling one and having a look rather than what I did which was to replace all the steering and still have DW

I put currie lowers on. The DW went away, but still a shimmy, but at 55 instead of 45. I put savvy uppers on and there is still just a hair of slop, I wouldn't even call it a shimmy. I have the axle side JJ kit to install still, and then the front end she should be tight like drum.
Unread 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
brett3xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You have to set the toe in to 1/8" after any lift or you can get DW or any wobble.The wheel spacers just make it more noticeable.
OK thanks, Ill tell the alignment shop to do that
Unread 11-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
brett3xx

So I dont need to redrill the track bar mount?
Unread 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I dont need to redrill the track bar mount?
You can if the axle shifting slightly bothers you.I never do with a 2.5" lift.
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
brett3xx

Quote:
You can if the axle shifting slightly bothers you.I never do with a 2.5" lift.
the axle shift doesnt bother me, I was just concerned that it could be part of the wobble problem.
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett3xx

the axle shift doesnt bother me, I was just concerned that it could be part of the wobble problem.
I believe that it can anger the DW, but not solely responsible for it.
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
brett3xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
I believe that it can anger the DW, but not solely responsible for it.
Haha, I like the way you put that. I was thinking the same, but didnt know if it was worth trying to move it over some and not sure if I can just redrill it over that much without having to weld up the existing hole. which might be aggravating trying to weld the back of the existing hole since its hard to get to.
Unread 11-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha, I like the way you put that. I was thinking the same, but didnt know if it was worth trying to move it over some and not sure if I can just redrill it over that much without having to weld up the existing hole. which might be aggravating trying to weld the back of the existing hole since its hard to get to.
There isn't enough room to drill it properly.Get the toe set in to 1/8" and you'll be happy.You can do it yourself in 10 minutes.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Unread 11-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
brett3xx

Quote:
There isn't enough room to drill it properly.Get the toe set in to 1/8" and you'll be happy.You can do it yourself in 10 minutes.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Are you referring to the total toe or individual toe? I took it to the alignment shop today and had it aligned and the tires balanced. The tires were 2oz out of balance each and the total toe was 0.65. Now the total toe is 0.16 which is a touch more than 1/8". With the spacers on all of the wobble is gone , but I still have a little vibration/shimmy in the steering wheel at about 45mph. I think the toe is close enough to leave it, but my caster is 4.5 degreed. If I add alignment cam bolts to add more caster will this help at all? Also I noticed I have just a touch of movement in the trackbar axle mount, how much movement is acceptable? This jeep only has 40K miles, so I wouldnt think its bad already.
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
brett3xx

Is this too much movement in the trackbar bushing?

Unread 11-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
CrankyGypsy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^ looks normal to me.

i also had a shimmy around 45-50mph - seems that quite a few people do somewhere around that speed after a lift.
and mine was there following simultaneously installing the CurrectLync and Currie TJS (which eliminated my DW). after i test drove it and found no DW, i installed the steering stabilizer to get rid of the shimmy ...i know a steering stabilizer is not a cure for DW, but it seems fine to me for that annoying/slight shimmy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.