Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
CB97

Death Wobble

I need some good advice. I have a bad wobble around 35mph. I read on the forum that it was most likely the stabilizer bar. Sure enough the bushing in the end of the stabilizer were destroyed. I replaced the stabilizer and for a couple of days the wobble was gone. I went over some train tracks and the wobble came back.(not as bad as before) I got underneath and the bars seem fine but I can move them all without any force. They seem like they have a lot of play. Is this normal. The track bar bushing looks fine but looks can be deceiving. How can I figure this out. Need help now. I'm working on it now! ok replaced track bar bushing,an stabilizer,jacked it up an all seems good,not sure what to look for.but I can twist the tie rod very easy how can I tell if there bad or causing my wobble...........help

Last edited by CB97; 07-29-2013 at 05:28 PM..
CB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The steering stabilizer is not your problem.

Have a friend watch all the steering components for play while you perform the dry steering test.

Also use the search button. :-)
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
CB97

What do I look for. Will the bars jump or something. I'm putting the jeep in the air now and waiting for my brother to come over so we can inspect it.
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
CB97

Death wobble, tires turned on the ground vibrate

I replaced the stabilizer. Then replaced the bushing in the stabilizer bar and now instead of wobble at 35 mph. The jeep wobbles at 45 mph. I put the jeep in the air and looked at the suspension while the steering was turned back and forth. I didn't notice anything odd. Then I put the jeep on the ground and turned the steering and the suspension jumps a little when I turn it back and forth. What could this be. How would
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tie rods, ball joints, track bar bushings, control arm bushings. So much could be the problem. I am dealing with now myself. The slightest play can cause it. If you have a lift your track bar and drag link need to be plane. Either a drop on the track bar and/or drop pitman arm will fix that. You want it as close to stock as you can get. Unbalanced tires and alignment can contribute to this as well. Start with one component at a time and go down the list.
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.