Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
Jeeepgirl

Death Wobble

I have owned jeeps for years but have never been really technical or knew how they worked. I need suggestions and help from those of you who know what you are talking about so please excuse the ignorance. I own a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. In December I was on my way home from Charlotte late night and hit a bear with the front passenger bumper. The entire front end started shaking violently and I thought that I had busted tires or something. When I calmed down and decided there was no risk for bear attack I got out to check out the jeep and there looked to be no damage to the jeep. At least twice on the way home I had death wobble (but didn't know what it was at the time.) I turned the jeep in on insurance and they sent me to my local shop (who were apparently as clueless as I was) and the shop then stated there was nothing wrong with the jeep. They did an alignment and sent me on my way.

All was well for a few months then I started having death wobble again. I did some research online and noticed that the culprit if often loose track bar. I had my husband tighten the track bar (it was slightly loose). It worked for a while but then continued to have the problem. I took it to jeep dealer this time who told me I had two busted front shocks and they wanted $500 to replace the shocks. They again tightened the track bar. I decided since I had always wanted to have a small lift on my jeep I would instead have a different local guy install Rough country 3.25" suspension lift which included shocks. One week after installation still having the same problem. Any suggestions? I am a total novice but I'm slowly learning.

Jeeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check for worn out parts. Also search around on here and you'll find it. By the way, you own a "JK" and this is the "TJ" section, but I'm sure a mod will move it

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Jeeepgirl

Like I said I'm a novice
Jeeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
guido79
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Re: Death Wobble

After researching this a bit today, here's some helpful links if you want to read up on causes and how to fix:

Jeep "death wobble" leaves drivers shaken

Death Wobble: How To Fix Your Own Case of Dreaded Death Wobble

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, Kevin's Offroad makes a "Death Wobble Package for TJ Wranglers" for $367.

Hope this helps.

Guido79
guido79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
death wobble , death wobble diagnosis , Rough Country 3.25"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.