JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Death Wobble! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/death-wobble-1317435/)

leojaz81 01-21-2012 11:04 AM

Death Wobble!

I need help! I just installed a 4" Rough Country N2.0 suspension lift. When I drove it home...after hitting the smallest bumps...my Jeep went into all out death wobbles until I slowed down to at least 25 mph. I did notice that the tires are toed in pretty bad now after the install and plan on having an alignment soon. Are there any other fixes or concerns I should probably look in to?

Z-Pow

Jeepinty 01-21-2012 11:08 AM

Check the normal stuff, loose/worn out front end parts etc. Get the alignment checked like you said.

robncar 01-21-2012 11:11 AM

How would you describe "death wobble"?

TJ-chopper 01-21-2012 01:21 PM

Did you use a drop pitman arm if so take it back OFF and install the factory arm

RaggedOleMan 01-21-2012 01:36 PM

If you have genuine DW, here's a link to an excellent write-up about diagnosing & resolving it. Lengthy, and good; Death Wobble

TheBoogieman 01-21-2012 02:42 PM

You can't do a 4" lift and not align it immediately and not have DW.The toe will be off by an inch.I had to drive mine 25 mph on the interstate after my lift and tire install.I drove it to the tire place with stock tires and it was bad when I hit a bump.After the tire install I couldn't drive it over 25 mph without DW on the highway.

ytowntj 01-21-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

You can't do a 4" lift and not align it immediately and not have DW
You can provided you have all good components of adequate size in the front end. The toe being off can induce death wobble by adding more forces that need to be controlled, but the loose/worn out or undersized parts are the true cause. If you set the toe the wobble will most likely go away for now but there is a TRE, or trackbar bolt or bushing etc that is on its way out.

Jeepers8099 01-21-2012 06:49 PM

RaggedOleMan, thanks for that link. I plan on using that information to attempt to troubleshoot my death wobble. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had any input on my situation.

I put a 3.25" Rough Country lift on my TJ, and I had death wobble right away. I took it to a shop for an alignment and they also replaced the camber bolts. The death wobble was still there. I dropped it off again and the shop suggested replacing the stock track bar with an adjustable one. They also mentioned that the top of the track bar appeared to have some play. I held off on this repair because I wanted to do some more research. The interesting thing is that the temperature dropped right after that and the death wobble went away. The temperature went back up to the upper 50s and death wobble came back. Again, the temperature dropped to the 30s and no death wobble. I mentioned this to the shop and they were stumped. They suggested increasing tire pressure to simulate stiffer sidewalls in cold weather. This actually made the death wobble occur more frequently. Anyone have an idea of what I'm dealing with?

FYI: I'm sure it is death wobble...I'm actually surprised the doors don't pop open it shakes so bad.

jeepinjeffrey 01-21-2012 06:53 PM

Like was said get an alignment! That was my problem after my lift and tires. if that doesnt fix it them check your trackbar and bushings.

RaggedOleMan 01-21-2012 06:59 PM

DW occurs when the front end can no longer control the forces visited up on it. That could mean;

- track-bar bushings, axle or frame end.
- Tie rod/either end/side
- Drag Link/either end at TR or Pitman arm
- Control Arm bushings, upper or lower frame end
- Control Arm//upper bushing on the axle...

One has to go through the arduous task of diagnosing. If anyone posts up a quick "cure" it would likely be little more than a lucky coincidence if it indeed solved it. I fought this, and chased it down for months. MrBlaine offered lots of counsel & advice and ultimately I was able to track it down. In my case it was NOT just one component. Furthermore, after I replaced the stock tie/rod & drag link with Currie, the DW came back and destroyed my Currie drag link. It can & will desroy new parts darn near as quickly as you can put them on.

I would start with the track-bar. Don't just look at the damn thing and decide it looks okay. Either do a dry steering test or take the thing off and test each bushing individually. Same goes for control arm bushings. Looking at the thing likely won't tell you *****. Take them off, look/inspect them closely. It isn't rocket science, but it is a monumental pain in the *** for many of us. It was for me anyway. I have no short cut for you. It takes what it takes...

IncaGirl 08-08-2013 08:41 PM

I know this was posted forever ago but,
I just put a 4" rough country NC on my 03 Tj and I have death wobble even after I had the alignment done.
I had then check everything the last time it happened (today) and the only thing they could notice was my Track bar is worn and he says I should replace it, but my question is when I did the lift I had to make a new hole for my track bar to bolt into.
Has anyone else had to do that or?????
Help please!!

Knuckelhead 08-08-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IncaGirl (Post 15773047)
but my question is when I did the lift I had to make a new hole for my track bar to bolt into.
Has anyone else had to do that or?????
Help please!!

Some reading for you:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...racket-905624/...

The time now is 11:55 AM.