Death Wobble?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Death Wobble??

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Jo1175
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble??

It happens at 60mph... Whats the most common cause? So many posts...hard to know what to do first...I don't see anything worn....New Tires and alignment needed? Steering damper? Thanks

Jo1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Okiejeeptj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem at around 35mph, and when I hit big bumps in the road. I am still looking for a way to fix it, but I did tighten up my suspension and it helped a little bit.
Okiejeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
JeepManager
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get a second person to be in the driver's seat and move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly. You inspect the tie rod ends, and the joint where the tie rod meets the drag link. With the rapid back and forth you'll easily see if there's any play in those steering components.

If they look good, check ball joints visually with the wheels off. Sometimes there isn't enough play to notice and it holds together fine at lower speed, but when you get up there all hell breaks loose (this was the case on mine just the other day when I had the same problem as you).

After those two things you can measure the width between the tires at both the front most point and the rear most point to ensure your allignment is on. The distance between the tires at the front most point should be 1/8" less then at the rear most point.

Check air pressures in tires. Did you loose a bead recently and get dirt in there? Don't know how hard you wheel and if that may have happened at some point.
JeepManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo1175
It happens at 60mph... Whats the most common cause? So many posts...hard to know what to do first...I don't see anything worn....New Tires and alignment needed? Steering damper? Thanks
If I'm not mistaken, 60mph occurrence is commonly a wheel balance issue. Whatever it is, it's NOT the steering stabilizer.

Follow the advice above and/or read more after having balance done an checking wheels for trueness. (they can be both balanced and out of round or un-true at the same time, which can make dx-ing DW difficult sometimes.)
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Okiejeeptj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I don't wheel very much and my LJ only has 60k, I'll look at my tie rods and ball joints. My alighnment is on, my tires are balanced and inflated properly.
Okiejeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepManager View Post
Get a second person to be in the driver's seat and move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly. You inspect the tie rod ends, and the joint where the tie rod meets the drag link. With the rapid back and forth you'll easily see if there's any play in those steering components...
Good advice.

Also check the track bar while doing this. Watch both ends for any movement.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
adixon94
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i had it when i hit a bump at 45 and i rotated my tires no i just have a shake at 50 so i think it has to be tire balance on mine and im guessing you have to same issue.
adixon94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
JeepManager
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Good advice.
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Jo1175
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tie rod and drag link are new....I am goin to start with checking the alignment myself....change the shock...then get new tires... Does anyone have a nice set of rims and tires for sale?? 30's
Jo1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Never heard of it.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Vinrod
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same problem years back, verify that your steering linkages are tight, swap out the steering stabilizer (highly recommend using a pitman arm puller to remove the old one) get a wheel alignment and the tires balanced. Ultimately changing the SS did the trick. It only happened to me between 55 and 60mph.
Vinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #12
JeepManager
2004 TJ Wrangler 

With him being on 30's, having no steering stabiliser would only give a slight vibration... if any.

If it's an actual "Death Wobble" then it may be more serious then that.... Although you're right it would help a bit if his is blown.

I have 33's, inverted T steering, and no stabiliser. I get almost no vibration even at highway speed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.