Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Death wobble!?!?!?!?!

852 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  asknight 
#1 ·
First off, hello Jeep Forum. I usually use Jville Jeepers but I saw a JeepForum sticker on someone's visor and thought I'd try here for my little problem.

Okay heres a little background on my problem:

I have a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited. I bought it in 08 with only 11000 miles on it. Since I had it I've had death wobble issues. I've talked to shops and people everywhere about what this could be. I've heard that it could be: track bar bushing (I replaced), the fact that I had maller wheels (fake beed locks which couldn't be properly balanced which I replaced), ball-joints (all seem to be fine), bushings (seem to be fine too, at least no visible damage), trany/transfer mounts (checked, good), or motor mounts (I thought this was a far strech but I checked anyways, solid).

So I bought my new rims and got um mounted. At first the guy that mounted them decided not to put weights on the outside of the tire so it wouldn't be and eye-sore. I went back and had him do it the ole fashioned way; inside and out to ensure utmost accuracy.

Still have death wobble!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for over two years now). I'm a Marine so I have a hard time finding time to dedicate to this.

Recently, I remembered seeing some jeeps with tractor weights on the front and thought, maybe my 33 12.50s are just too "bubble-boucy" (to be technical;)) for the weight of my jeep. I went out and bought the biggest chain I could find and wrapped it around the bumper and it kiiiiiiinda helped but I still have the DW. Also, I'm thinkin if I put some spring assisted, neo-nazi, solid a$$ shock absorbers on it, it may not allow the DW.

I had a friend who's fairly mech savvy check it out. We mounted my camera on a tall tripod and he held it out the window while my jeep went in to this wobble. First, we checked the back then the front. We went back to the footage and found nothing conclusive.

It's almost always provoked by a bump in the road or something. It's always accompanied by a very loud, metal on metal banging sound which makes you cringe at the damage it must be causing. But what gets me, we looked alllllllll over my Jeep and could find no metal on metal damage.

Please help. I'm stuck driving my wifes jeep and she's without a car.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the track bar bolt hole on the axle end. Mine was worn out just a hair and was the majority of my DW. It does not take but a small bit of play to cause it. Mix that with unbalanced tires and or worn out weak Steering stabilizer and hold the **** on brother. Keep looking at the front end parts. Use a pry bar and or have somone wiggle the wheel for you.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. There are a ton of threads on this forum dealing with deathwobble. Just go to the green bar near the top and click on search then type in death wobble. That being said we need some more information on your Jeep. Is it stock suspension or lifted with a trackbar relocation bracket for example. I traced mine to a loose trackbar relocation bracket that made an awful clunking when going from lock to lock.

#4 ·
Alignment? I do a diy alignment on my jeep every now and then, and notice if I set my toe in at 0 degrees I have DW. But if I set the toe in about 1/2" it stops. Just my two cents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.