DEATH to the death wobble....wooohooo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DEATH to the death wobble....wooohooo

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
jeeperscreep04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DEATH to the death wobble....wooohooo

hey jeepers...have an 04 TJ, its my daily driver and my weekend funmobile. Had the major death wobble and got tips from all of you here, all over actually (everybodies got an opinion!) even some crap ideas for quick fixes. This was especially frustrating cuz I would be flying down the freeway with no problems at all and then all of a sudden it would go into convulsions. Other times I'd be going 45 in town and wham, there it goes, all freaking out...this made it very hard to pinpoint anything. Since my mechanic (the free one my ex-husband) lives over 100 miles away it took us a while to figure it out. Dont know if it was a single fix or a combination of them all but heres the list of all that was done and a big for it being over...

1: Dropped pitman arm (nope, previous owner didnt get one installed when the lift was put on)

2: eccentric cam bolts (didnt have these on from previous owner either)

3: Adjusted toe/caster

4: Balanced/Ailigned wheels (hate to say this to some of you that swear THIS is the fix but it did nothing for my TJ)

5: replaced bushings....ALL over, to poly, including lift control arms bushings

6: last but not least >>>>>>and this is what I BELIEVE finally fixed it>>>>>>> Currie Tie Rod System...the stock one just didnt do it...

I will be moving to 33's in a month or so and may or may not have to go thru some of the adjustments all over again but at least I know what to check...I hope this helps some of you peeps out there....have fun wheelin...........

jeeperscreep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

congrats on the fix
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

You will regret the poly bushings. You will be lucky to get a year out of them.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
James04TJ

More than likely the problem here was the stock TREs.

On a related note, after replacing every part of my TJs front end, the only fix to my DW issues was to set my toe 1/16" out.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

jeeperscreep04, how much lift do you have? Do you have a drop bracket for your upper track bar mount? If not, you are going to get bumpsteer from that drop pitman arm, since the track bar and drag link have to be parallel in order to maintain proper steering geometry.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Tire chains on Unlimited

Oops. Didn't mean to post this here...
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
corey4880
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys had DW bad on my 03 tj I have a 2" lift and worn 31s put new 31x10.50s on after i've replaced everything on the front trying to fix it but after the new tires I'm going on a week and a half with no Dw

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.