Dealership oil change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dealership oil change

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
JRoweMDN
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dealership oil change

I have been getting emails for $20 oil change at the local dealership since I registered to get my build sheet. Is there any reason to avoid it? Do they use bulk oil like the fast lube places? That price is less than I can buy the parts locally. I usually use Castrol and a Wix filter so are these quality parts?

JRoweMDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
1990JPYJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I buy the $54.99 special from my local dealership on my Jeep Patriot. Mopar brand filter is always on there. No idea of the type of oil. No issues as of yet. Once they stop offering that deal I will go back to doing it myself like on the Wrangler.
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I always prefer to DIY. I can get name brand oil and filter for less than $20, but still just a personal decision.

As a general rule, there is nothing wrong with bulk oil. Think about the gas you buy, bulk gas.

Don't you think all the oil was bulk before it was put into a bottle!
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those are lose leader deals, which means they lose money on the oil change. But once they get you in, they check your jeep and they tell you it needs this or that and get your money that way. I don't see a reason why the bulk oil would not be okay to use.
They stopped sending me those coupons on my GMC truck once they figured I wasn't going to go for the up sale stuff.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Current SM rated oil doesn't have enough zinc or phosphorus additives for flat tappet engines. I believe you should be using SL rate oil (usually called "high mileage"). Diesel oil will also have sufficient additives.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
Current SM rated oil doesn't have enough zinc or phosphorus additives for flat tappet engines. I believe you should be using SL rate oil (usually called "high mileage"). Diesel oil will also have sufficient additives.
Do you have any references to show what the level of zinc or phosphorus additives in the engine oil that is required for the 4.0L engine in a TJ?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
nichelsond
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used to take my Liberty to the Dealership, since I was putting 500 miles at least per week and had other things to do. It was GREAT, till one day I knew my TJ needed an oil change, it was my birthday, and I had to see 3 more patients (home health aide), so I took it in. It came out with the SAME FILTER! I noticed that when I went to the bathroom at a rest area 1 mile down the road, flipped it around across the interstate and headed back and they said I probably changed it when I left! I now do them both myself.
nichelsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I worked at a dealer as a lubrication tech, as a young man........TRUST ME............Do it yourself.................Do anything you can YOURSELF.......
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photontraveler View Post
I worked at a dealer as a lubrication tech, as a young man........TRUST ME............Do it yourself.................Do anything you can YOURSELF.......
How many drain plugs did you strip out?
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What makes a dealership so bad but joe blows shop down the street ok?

I love reading these posts. Hate on dealerships, spread false info all you want. Put more dealers out of business and see what happens to the price of cars and everything else related.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No idea how a dealership is, but my dads friend went to get his oil changed at some shop. They forgot to drain the oil and added 4 more quarts, he thought it was low so he added another quart. So 9 quarts of oil, it looked like a smoke screen when he gunned it to make the yellow light. He said this old lady next to him was trying to inch past him and he left her in the smoke.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder05 View Post
Hate on dealerships, spread false info all you want. Put more dealers out of business and see what happens to the price of cars and everything else related.
how do these two things relate?

dealerships have been screwing the average consumer for the past 50+ years. are all of them bad, no, but most are, especially in a heavily populated area. they have the reputation for a reason. you must work at a dealer

There are plenty of dealers that offer the $20 oil change then end up saying your vehicle "NEEDS" $1500 worth of work. they try to scare the uneducated into spending a lot of money on things they dont need. it happens all the time and i've seen the estimates. laughable, love it when people try to stick up for these con artists

and if a ****ty dealer cant stay in business, it will not raise the price of cars or anything else related. most of them are the reason prices are so high in the first place
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Do you have any references to show what the level of zinc or phosphorus additives in the engine oil that is required for the 4.0L engine in a TJ?...
Nice.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photontraveler View Post
Why ??? Heck if I could get mine changed for 20 bucks why do it myself. Let them deal with disposal and the hassle

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Jeepmanjoe52
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1

Why ??? Heck if I could get mine changed for 20 bucks why do it myself. Let them deal with disposal and the hassle
Don't worry about a disposal fee. It came out of the ground, it can go back in the ground.
Jeepmanjoe52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.