Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dealer "Maintanance "

2K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Mich.Bowhunter 
#1 ·
I just got back from the dealership for service "A" on my Rubi and got whacked $75!! :brickwall Never again!

The invoice says:

932 CPJ $59.27
1 5281090 Filter-Engine Oil $6.60
6 Oil Motor-Oil $10.74

I had this worked performed at 6,000 mi per my dealerships recommendation however the new sticker on my windshield says the next oil change should be in 3,000mi. I thought they used synthetic oild in the Jeeps these days? Anyway I can tell?

What did others pay from their dealership for service A? I thought scheduled maintanance was included until 24k mi or something.... I bought a Mercedes (another DC vehicle...) that included free scheduled maintanance until 30k mi. What's up with that?

- j

#2 ·
What did you expect from a dealership. Just by looking at the price of the oil I know it is not synthetic. Obviousley a Mercedes will get better treatment since you paid a lot more for it. If you want to save money and get to know your Jeep...do the work yourself otherwise you have nothing to complain about because you are the one who took it to the stealership.

#5 ·
Mercedes vehicles have such high margins that their dealerships can afford to give free service, especially since they have extremely stiff competition from other luxury vehicles like Lexus. The charge for the oil and filter was darned reasonable, cheaper than I would have expected.

Your assignment then is to find out what that the "932 CPJ" for $52.27 that was most of your bill was since the oil and filter was darned cheap. :)

#7 ·
Because Mercedes is seen as a lux car and that type is expected to compete with BMW, etc... The Mercedes has a bigger margin to handle that.

I would think you would of done a little homework before buying a car. You should know if maintenance is included or if a rent a car is included.

You brought it to them, they did what they said they would do and chareged their rates. Not sure what the issue is...

#9 ·
jstn said:
Well I'm a bit confused since I paid a grand more for the Mercedes (C230S Sedan)... I just thought that DC would take better care of their customers.

And there isn't much to learn about an oil change and greesing the front end... it's pretty simple I'd say. :D

- j
Here's what the 6000 mile service includes:

Lubrication- suspension, steering linkage, transmission shift linkage, latches, hinges, underbody contact points
Inspect and top off all fluid levels
Change engine oil and filter
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect PCV valve and filter
Inspect fuel tank and lines
Rotate tires

My dealer charges $60. $75 seems a little high.

Jeeps come with Dino oil.

I'm confused also - how did DC fail to take care of you?

#10 ·
jstn said:
I just got back from the dealership for service "A" on my Rubi and got whacked $75!! :brickwall Never again!

The invoice says:

932 CPJ $59.27
1 5281090 Filter-Engine Oil $6.60
6 Oil Motor-Oil $10.74

I had this worked performed at 6,000 mi per my dealerships recommendation however the new sticker on my windshield says the next oil change should be in 3,000mi. I thought they used synthetic oild in the Jeeps these days? Anyway I can tell?

What did others pay from their dealership for service A? I thought scheduled maintanance was included until 24k mi or something.... I bought a Mercedes (another DC vehicle...) that included free scheduled maintanance until 30k mi. What's up with that?

- j
My first servicing on my Sahara was only $24.95 (Canadian $$) at 5000km's, however the second was somewhere around $90 because they did some sort of combustion chamber cleaning.........or so they claim, you wouldn't think that would be required on such a new vehicle....... :rolleyes: It's due for it's 20000km servicing very soon and i'm sure there will be some retarded add-on charge for this one too. :brickwall

Will getting servicing done elsewhere void my warranty?...........I would imagine DC would claim that it does

#12 ·
Jeepguy81 said:
Will getting servicing done elsewhere void my warranty?...........I would imagine DC would claim that it does
In the U.S., no it does not void the warranty. All that has to be done is to keep the receipts to show that the required work to keep the warranty in effect was done. But since you're in Canada that has different laws and perhaps different warranty policies, it's hard to say.

#14 ·
jeepom said:
<snip>
I'm confused also - how did DC fail to take care of you?
I didn't mean that looking back now. I don't know I guess I'm pissed because for some reason I was under the assumption that there were included maintanance for the jeep or I had bought the maintanance contract? :rtft: If I was going to just burn $75 I would have went over to the super fancy steak house and had a 36oz prime rib! :thumbsup:

At this point I'm going to insert-foot-in-mouth and in the future just do this work meself from here on out. I was just curious as to what others were charged...

adios! :wave:

- j

#15 ·
jstn said:
I didn't mean that looking back now. I don't know I guess I'm pissed because for some reason I was under the assumption that there were included maintanance for the jeep or I had bought the maintanance contract? :rtft: If I was going to just burn $75 I would have went over to the super fancy steak house and had a 36oz prime rib! :thumbsup:

At this point I'm going to insert-foot-in-mouth and in the future just do this work meself from here on out. I was just curious as to what others were charged...

- j
Well I for one am happy with how you took it once you stepped back and looked at it from a slightly different angle. Doing it yourself is a really good way to do it anyway. And yeah, I'm with you on thinking that $75 would have gone real nicely in a super fancy steak house. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
jstn said:

- j
Haha - good for you! Jerry took what I was going to post and beat me to it. Look at it this way - I only save $60 - so you're way ahead of me - but I'll settle for the 24oz :thumbsup:

#17 ·
jeepom said:
Haha - good for you! Jerry took what I was going to post and beat me to it. Look at it this way - I only save $60 - so you're way ahead of me - but I'll settle for the 24oz :thumbsup:
Only 24oz? Aww c'mon we're gonna blow $75! :laugh: I suppose I didn't mention that in addition to the steak I'd also pickup an excessive supply of beer... but that discussion will have to wait for another forum... ;)

- j

#18 ·
allright time to give you guys a different perspective,im a tech at a chrysler- jeep "stealership",at our store lof's are 24.95 mon-fri & 14.95 on sat.we get 4 tenths to do a lof,the store actually loses money on saturdays,the monkey lube across the street gets 22.95, i cant count how many times i have done a lof on a vehical and had the filter so tight i couldnt get it off or the drain plug was stripped,the last lof before that was at a quick lube,also when a vehical comes in the same tech works on it every time,this builds a history between the customer and tech,i wont sell someone something they dont need,why he was charged 60.00 i dont know,ive read that some of you dont like dealerships,but not all of them are that way,i burns me up that people b"""h about dealerships,but most people dont know that a lot of things we dont get paid to do,if we dont replace a part on a warranty repair we dont get paid,like spending three hours finding a rattle,also chrysler doesnt pay diagnostics on body repairs,only part replacement,sorry,just venting a bit.

#19 ·
black99tj said:
allright time to give you guys a different perspective,im a tech at a chrysler- jeep "stealership",at our store lof's are 24.95 mon-fri & 14.95 on sat.we get 4 tenths to do a lof,the store actually loses money on saturdays,the monkey lube across the street gets 22.95, i cant count how many times i have done a lof on a vehical and had the filter so tight i couldnt get it off or the drain plug was stripped,the last lof before that was at a quick lube,also when a vehical comes in the same tech works on it every time,this builds a history between the customer and tech,i wont sell someone something they dont need,why he was charged 60.00 i dont know,ive read that some of you dont like dealerships,but not all of them are that way,i burns me up that people b"""h about dealerships,but most people dont know that a lot of things we dont get paid to do,if we dont replace a part on a warranty repair we dont get paid,like spending three hours finding a rattle,also chrysler doesnt pay diagnostics on body repairs,only part replacement,sorry,just venting a bit.
Well...we need more techs like yourself then. :thumbsup: Unfortunately we dont have that many...and most people these days will complain when theyre overcharged and complain about it as well. After all....it is the customers $$$ and they have every right to ask why it cost that much. :rolleyes:

#21 ·
Jeepguy81 said:
My first servicing on my Sahara was only $24.95 (Canadian $$) at 5000km's, however the second was somewhere around $90 because they did some sort of combustion chamber cleaning.........or so they claim, you wouldn't think that would be required on such a new vehicle....... :rolleyes: It's due for it's 20000km servicing very soon and i'm sure there will be some retarded add-on charge for this one too. :brickwall

That's really weird. I'm in Canada too and I've got my service schedule right in front of me and it says nothing about a combustion chamber cleaning. I've got a 2003 Sahara. I got free oil changes for life with my purchase and all I've paid so far is $19.99 for tire rotation at 10,000 and 20,000 kms.
Check your Service Schedule. They shouldn't be doing anything that's not on there unless there's a reason for it.

#22 ·
black99tj said:
allright time to give you guys a different perspective,im a tech at a chrysler- jeep "stealership",at our store lof's are 24.95 mon-fri & 14.95 on sat.
Maybe you can hook me up with my next serice then?

also when a vehical comes in the same tech works on it every time,this builds a history between the customer and tech,
<snip>
So I better send my tech a Christmas card! It'd be sweet if MY Jeep tech was a smoking hot Jeep babe, like from the Jeep Babe thread... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Seriously, is this true? I personally find it hard to believe...

- j

#23 ·
he should have asked what was done for the 60.00,we have combustion chamber cleaner,but we dont recommend it at that low of mileage,actually i dont think that it helps at all,you can do the same thing with stp or similar products,i do recommend tire rotations every 6000 miles,the tires cup on the front of jeeps pretty bad,i realize that most people cant or wont do there own maitenance,so their willing to pay someone else to do it ,they should know going in what it should cost

#24 ·
sorry jstn,im just an ugly old guy,on the tech\customer history thing,we do it that way so the customer feels more at ease,when they bring their vehical in for service,the same tech works on it that worked on it before,most customers like that.

#25 ·
jstn said:
Maybe you can hook me up with my next serice then?

So I better send my tech a Christmas card! It'd be sweet if MY Jeep tech was a smoking hot Jeep babe, like from the Jeep Babe thread... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Seriously, is this true? I personally find it hard to believe...

- j
I think it helps. A while back the Service Rep helped me with a issue on the TJ. He went out of his way to help. I try to praise when deserved, so I wrote to the owner of the dealership as well as the Service Manager telling them he was a great guy and did a great job. he's been there for about twelve years so he know the ins and outs. So now he hooks me up once in a while with the bill (a little off here and there) and has introduced me to one of the mechanics (a real Jeep lover). They know my Jeeps by heart! It never hurts to befriend those that are in the service industry!

I still change my own oil though...

#26 ·
tjchad said:
I'm on my way to the dealer in a few minutes to get the oil changed on my '02 Sport. I'd do it my self but they keep sending me coupons for a 16.95 oil change with lube job. I can't beat that price at home...
I always assumed those were a fishing expedition on the part of the dealer. They get you in for an oil change and look for some other more expensive job that needs to be done. I'm pretty cynical though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.