Dead Pedal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dead Pedal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 04-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
NoVA_Jumper

Dead Pedal

Hey everyone...just joined the forum and wanted to say hi.

Also have a question, any suggestions on installing a dead pedal?

Figured something from the Jeep family would work...maybe off a Liberty, Cherokee, etc. So far I've only found 1 aftermarket mfgr and while it would do the job it's a bit on the industrial side. (ie, it would shred bare feet)

NoVA_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What's a dead pedal?
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
What's a dead pedal?
An extra pedal to the left that serves as a footrest. I would love to have one, but have only seen one for auto trans Jeeps.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
cbrspdfrk

Great question, I wanna know too!!! I can't tell you how many times I've gone to rest my foot somewhere between shifting and have almost fell out of my seat doing so.
cbrspdfrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrspdfrk
I can't tell you how many times I've gone to rest my foot somewhere between shifting and have almost fell out of my seat doing so.

it's funny 'cause it's true.....

Unread 04-05-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
cbrspdfrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty

it's funny 'cause it's true.....

Whats even funnier is when you are a true hearted manual transmission freak (14 years driving and never owned an automatic) and you drive an automatic (borrowed/rented/etc) and your left foot goes for the clutch as you approach a stop. Intead of finding the clutch that isn't there you hit the brake pedal instead. You wanna talk about a brake check!!!!
cbrspdfrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmn
An extra pedal to the left that serves as a footrest. I would love to have one, but have only seen one for auto trans Jeeps.
Ok I had never heard of that term before. My last car (acura) had one and it was a 5spd. I'd like one too.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have searched without success for a dead pedal to bolt into a TJ. I guess you have to fab one - I'm going to take a try next weekend. I just added a 2" spacer lift to the driver seat that also gave me 2" more rear seat travel (I'm a big guy). I think the dead pedal is the next step to enhance comfort. I have a 5-speed but I think there is room to the left of the clutch. I'll be concentrating on making it stout, and I will try to get the left foot in the same plane as the right foot is on the accelerator pedal.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #9
Dee Cue
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Whats even funnier is when you are a true hearted manual transmission freak (14 years driving and never owned an automatic) and you drive an automatic (borrowed/rented/etc) and your left foot goes for the clutch as you approach a stop. Intead of finding the clutch that isn't there you hit the brake pedal instead. You wanna talk about a brake check!!!!
Oh God, this happend to me while driving my friend home. I've never owned an automatic, and this one time I had to drive a buddy home (who was drunk) with his car (an automatic) as we approached a red light, my left foot went for the non-existant clutch and I caught the break pedal with full force and at the same time my right hand was looking for the shifter... It was sheer luck no one was behind us, we would have been rear ended for sure! It's amazing how quickly those little honda's can stop. Needless to say that was the last time I drove his car.
Unread 04-05-2004, 08:31 PM   #10
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea, and you shift the autotranny shifter like its a manual. I have to hold something to keep from doing this.
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #11
NoVA_Jumper

Here's the aftermarket pedal I mentioned....says only for automatics but there should be plenty of room for it.

http://www.sunperformance.com/dummy_pedal.htm
NoVA_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:12 PM   #12
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Put 40 inch tires on with 3.07 gears. Then the pedal on the right will be dead.
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #13
wyldejackyl

They make Audi TT style pedals that are friendly to your feet. I know they fit on all Volkswagen AG cars (audi, vw, seat, skoda, etc), but I'm sure with a little fab work they'll fit on anything. The TT pedal set includes a dead pedal. I'd think you could also make one out of aluminum diamondplate.

I've done the "looking for clutch but hit the brake instead" thing too. Coincidentally, it was on my old GLI when I had just put in a set of slotted/vented Powerdisc rotors and Mintex pads..plus I had stainless steel lines, so there was absolutely no give between my foot and the rotors. Talk about stopping as if by the hand of god..
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2004, 06:10 PM   #14
trailratedjeep

i think they sell them in the performance accessories magazine for jeep wranglers, but they do say only for automatics. i don't see why they wouldn't fit in a manual tranny floor board.... couldn't you just make one??
trailratedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #15
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailratedjeep
i think they sell them in the performance accessories magazine for jeep wranglers, but they do say only for automatics. i don't see why they wouldn't fit in a manual tranny floor board.... couldn't you just make one??
Yes, but with a 5-speed, the dead pedal needs to be skinnier than the one above, and installed against the left side of the footwell. It doesn't seem like a hard thing, I just won't get to it until the weekend.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.