Dead Battery, replacing with Optima Yellowtop - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dead Battery, replacing with Optima Yellowtop

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #31
ALRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was just about to buy a Yellow Top Optima. So much for that. DieHard Platinum it is.

ALRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #32
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I used to run the Red Top and it was a great battery, but was bought before Optima went down the tubes. Since I have switched to DieHard. I went with the Gold and not the Platinum because I don't plan on a winch anytime soon. Plus the warranty is so good that if the Gold dies because of offroad "vibrations" then I can get a new one no questions asked, or get it prorated and upgrade to the platinum.

If anyone's wondering, the warranty is 3 years full and 64 months prorated. So 100 total months of warranty, about 8 years of total warranty.
Yup! Same here. I got my Optima Red back in 2003 before the production went to Mexico. It's still goin like a champ! Holds a charge like new even after all the rough conditions it's been through. That said, too bad the quality of Optima has gone down the poop shoot.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #33
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had an Orbital that outlasted the 8 year warranty which is unheard of here. I couldn't find another locally so I went with a Optima Red top. Been a year or so and ok so far.

Accidentally Left my lights on for 2 hrs last weekend (stupid daytime headlight law on some highways here) and the Jeep started right up. After I got home I put it on a trickle charger overnight just to make sure that it was recharged.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #34
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Stupid Comment

Just put this out there since I don't know. I got a Yellow Top Optima I winch on occassion when I go hunting trees and such out of the roads and things like that. I have never had an issue with all factory stuff only got a SRC 8,000lb winch and stero and IPOD. With all you guys having these issues with some of your big rock rigs were you using a higher output alternater? I hear that it really helps? New to the JEEP world so take her easy on me.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #35
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Optima Vs what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelset View Post
I am looking at replacing my dead battery with a Optima Yellowtop, Part Number: D34/78. Has anyone used this battery and if so, are you pleased with the performance? I am thinking with the deep cycle it would be good for winching.

Thanks, Mike
==============
Lots of experience with the yellow tops.
Bottom line is they do not have enought capacity for serious winching.

Sadly Johnsin Controls moved the factory from Denver to Mexico and a lot was lost in the change. The reliability wend down hill
The days when I got the employee price of $65 are now gone.
What to choose.
Sure, this thread mentions a lot of acceptable batteries. I have 4 of the Optimas still in use in my 3 rigs. Replacement will be the highest reserve amps(20 a rate) for the money. Right now the size 65 from Walmart is a good choice. Lots lead means lots of amps for the winch.
If you cannot find the spec for reserve amps use price per pound and a good guide. And never buy a flooded battery AGM is the best. As was mentyioned forget about the 6 pac and just get the sealed cube style.
Not sure the 65 can be squeezed into the Jeep, but it fits fine in both Broncos.
Paul
pwmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #36
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
Just put this out there since I don't know. I got a Yellow Top Optima I winch on occassion when I go hunting trees and such out of the roads and things like that. I have never had an issue with all factory stuff only got a SRC 8,000lb winch and stero and IPOD. With all you guys having these issues with some of your big rock rigs were you using a higher output alternater? I hear that it really helps? New to the JEEP world so take her easy on me.
A higher amp alternator will help out your battery/electrical system to a certain extent. However no matter what alternator you have, it won't be able to keep up or make much of a difference when you're pulling 300-400 amps which is what a winch can suck during a heavy pull.

Many of us don't have any issues with the stock 117amp (If I recall correctly) alternator, but many do upgrade to a 160amp alternator or the like when the stock alternator breaks. A 160amp alternator would definitely be great if you have a lot of lights to run or other electrical equipment you use regularly, but for most it's really not necessary.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #37
remery829
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
A higher amp alternator will help out your battery/electrical system to a certain extent. However no matter what alternator you have, it won't be able to keep up or make much of a difference when you're pulling 300-400 amps which is what a winch can suck during a heavy pull.

Many of us don't have any issues with the stock 117amp (If I recall correctly) alternator, but many do upgrade to a 160amp alternator or the like when the stock alternator breaks. A 160amp alternator would definitely be great if you have a lot of lights to run or other electrical equipment you use regularly, but for most it's really not necessary.
like a welder...

[CENTER][B]vvvthis is what they don't tell you about LCGvvv[/B][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=]...I went with the lcg method but its never ending be because once you fix one thing something else breaks or needs upgrading...[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][B][U][COLOR="yellow"]SUPPORT OUR TROOPS[/COLOR][/U][/B][/CENTER]
[URL="http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1283292679-9a7df2f9eebd07dc48f628e4fb5cbc1881910fd4"]City Profile[/URL]
remery829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #38
remery829
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
i just put in a 160 amp alternator out of an 04 durango with the 4.7l v8. it has an extra mount arm on it which you can cut off or leave on. doesn't contact anything so i left it be. it was a direct bolt in. even though its bigger, i still was able to use the same belt.

[CENTER][B]vvvthis is what they don't tell you about LCGvvv[/B][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=]...I went with the lcg method but its never ending be because once you fix one thing something else breaks or needs upgrading...[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][B][U][COLOR="yellow"]SUPPORT OUR TROOPS[/COLOR][/U][/B][/CENTER]
[URL="http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1283292679-9a7df2f9eebd07dc48f628e4fb5cbc1881910fd4"]City Profile[/URL]
remery829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #39
Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post

Sadly Johnsin Controls moved the factory from Denver to Mexico and a lot was lost in the change. The reliability wend down hill
The days when I got the employee price of $65 are now gone.

Paul
You no longer work for big blue? The employee price is now $75.00 for the yellow tops, with $17.00 shipping from Mexico. I just ordered two yellow's, we will see. Got a red and a yellow last November, no problems so far.
Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
optima , yellowtop , yellow top , battery , replace , replacement , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.