JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Dead Battery, replacing with Optima Yellowtop (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/dead-battery-replacing-optima-yellowtop-1072545/)

yelset 07-19-2010 07:16 PM

Dead Battery, replacing with Optima Yellowtop
 
I am looking at replacing my dead battery with a Optima Yellowtop, Part Number: D34/78. Has anyone used this battery and if so, are you pleased with the performance? I am thinking with the deep cycle it would be good for winching.

Thanks, Mike

Tredloc 07-19-2010 08:04 PM

No Stay away from Yellow Top and go Blue Top. I had a yellow top and one time it was drained while using my winch it never regained its full strength. Maybe it was a bad battery but since I traded over to Blue Top I have never had any issues, plus it gives you an additional post with wing nut.
Just my 2 cents:cheers2:

BYuen 07-19-2010 08:07 PM

:rtft:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...s-card-801031/

yelset 07-19-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYuen (Post 9816034)

Thanks

APEDZ04LJ 07-19-2010 08:28 PM

i picked up a duralast gold, the waranty was three times as longer then the optima, and it has a bigger recharger (aka holds more) and for 40 bucks cheaper, i was told the only difference between the yellow top and duralast was optima is strong as crap cause its a jail bat.

longbluerubi 07-20-2010 07:23 AM

I think I'll go with a Diehard Platnimun when I'm ready to replace mine (stock battery is over 5 years old, so will be soon)

little_Jeep 07-20-2010 07:25 AM

Anything that says Optima, has no place in my Jeep.

-dirt- 07-20-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bafisher (Post 9818130)
I think I'll go with a Diehard Platnimun when I'm ready to replace mine (stock battery is over 5 years old, so will be soon)

Me too.

Jerry Bransford 07-20-2010 08:56 AM

The Diehard Platinum 3478-DT (DT= dual terminal) is a great decision guys, you won't regret it. I'm done with Optima batteries, no more.

Divinitous 07-20-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 9818563)
The Diehard Platinum 3478-DT (DT= dual terminal) is a great decision guys, you won't regret it. I'm done with Optima batteries, no more.

My yellow top never made it through a full winter. Near the end the jeep would even start slow after driving on the highway, stopping to get gas and leaving the lights on for the 2 minutes. I thought I was having grounding issues since I bought the "biggest and baddest" battery out there. Finally after checking the alternator, starter, and wiring I brought the yellow top to get it tested. Failed instantly.

Sears diehard is a beast. Must say it's never let me down, I've left the jeep on for hours with lights, radio, and haven't even noticed a difference. You won't be disappointed.

Sundowner 07-20-2010 10:31 AM

Between myself and a friend, we've had six Optimas die on us, now...reds, blues, yellows. I will NOT have another Optima in a vehicle. Diehard is a good battery...I've also heard nice things about Napa's in-house stuff.

Jerry Bransford 07-20-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tredloc (Post 9816011)
No Stay away from Yellow Top and go Blue Top. I had a yellow top and one time it was drained while using my winch it never regained its full strength.

Just so you know, Optima's D34M Blue Top is the exact same battery internally as the 34/78 Yellow Top is... there is no electrical difference between them. They just have different case colors and connector styles.

Sundowner 07-20-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 9819534)
Just so you know, Optima's D34M Blue Top is the exact same battery internally as the 34/78 Yellow Top is... there is no electrical difference between them. They just have different case colors and connector styles.

At last! I KNEW that there was a reason the blue died as quickly as the yellow!

zachjf 07-20-2010 01:12 PM

I'd go with an Orbital battery and am planning on it when my current one dies, nothing good has been produced by Optima in a long time.

little_Jeep 07-20-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachjf (Post 9820095)
I'd go with an Orbital battery and am planning on it when my current one dies, nothing good has been produced by Optima in a long time.

I got the Deep Cycle 34XCD... it has been a great battery.... However, it was $219.00 out the door :eek:


The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.