Dead 4 banger. Time for a motor swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dead 4 banger. Time for a motor swap

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Is there a version of the 545rfe that the 231 does not bolt up to?

I would think they all have the same common 6 bolt pattern that is used in all Jeeps and Dodges.
Hey wheelin. I'm curious why you wouldn't recommend buying a wrecked WJ (you can get them around here for cheap) and do the 4.7 and 545 as a set (plus you'd have other stuff like WJ brakes for free you could work on). Was that swap too much effort?

I am curious about how much if any problems you had with alarm stuff.

Unread 08-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #17
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Is there a version of the 545rfe that the 231 does not bolt up to?

I would think they all have the same common 6 bolt pattern that is used in all Jeeps and Dodges.
I worded that horribly, I meant a 4x4 RAM, good catch, that woulda confused a lotta people.

It is the same exact trans in a jeep.

People are just going to want to get one out of a 4x4 instead of a 2x4 because they will have to remove the tail shaft and try and hunt down a transfer case adapter for the trans.

There's a lot of these used transmissions out there, most of them are really cheap.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #18
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
Hey wheelin. I'm curious why you wouldn't recommend buying a wrecked WJ (you can get them around here for cheap) and do the 4.7 and 545 as a set (plus you'd have other stuff like WJ brakes for free you could work on). Was that swap too much effort?

I am curious about how much if any problems you had with alarm stuff.
The swap was quite a PITA because of the wiring. The wiring section in the WJ FSM is 1,200 pages.

I think I would do a Ford 5.0 V8 if I were to do it again just because they wire up so much easier.

The Sentry key security is not difficult to work with if you have the donor vehicle.

If you're not afraid of wiring, then I'd say go for a wrecked WJ. In the end, I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It was just a long road to get there.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine swap , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.