DD LJ Build Plan Question/Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DD LJ Build Plan Question/Advice

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

DD LJ Build Plan Question/Advice

Hey all,
Hope you all are doing well.
I'm trying to decide on a lift for my '04 LJ. It is my DD and will rarely ever see much more than dirt roads and Iowa hills, sadly. As a preface to my questions, I want to say:
  • I have researched thoroughly
  • I will be using 4.88 gears and 35 inch tires
  • I realize that that my 42RLE auto trans and that combination will not work in a perfect harmonious balance with one another - and I am okay with that
  • This Jeep will be built for looks first and offroad capability second
  • I am not loaded, and some of the products I choose will reflect that

I have currently purchased 4.88 gears, 35x12.50R15 Goodyear MTR/Ks mounted on American Racing AR 61 Outlaws 15x8s, and Currie Currectlync steering setup. As of right now, I have not decided on a lift due to fund restrictions, but am actively trying to determine what I want. Obviously, I would like to drop $2,500 on a full Currie or Metalcloak system, but I do not feel that my needs warrant such a purchase. Perhaps a bit of mouth being bigger than stomach - the mouth being my wants and needs and the stomach representing my pocketbook. I would like to retain some sense of decency regarding ride quality.

My question: Would the Zone 4.25 inch combo+8x Metalcloak Duroflex arms+IRO Front Track Bar+Rear track bar drop bracket completely cover my needs?
My concerns:
  • Not enough room for the 35s?
  • Zone shocks and their ride quality?
  • I don't want to pay for an SYE/CV driveshaft at this point in time and I think my LJ can handle 3 inches of suspension lift
  • Brake line extensions?
  • Maybe I should just drop the coin on the full Metalcloak ARB lift...those dual rate coils sure seem fancy

I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious things, but that's what you guys are for. I can expect to use about 3 inches of bumpstop, I THINK. Big brakes and axle shafts are currently out of my budget, sorry fellas, I know I'm now a road hazard.

Please fill me in on what I'm forgetting. If you're feeling confident in your abilities, I am fairly fond of lists. I expect to see plenty of comments regarding my inability to properly build a Jeep for the Wild West, and my apparent disregard for other patrons of the road. Thanks!

cbrant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Currie steering is probably overkill for what you plan on using it for, then again so are 35s. The zone kit is a nice starter that rides well and you can upgrade, which sounds like you already plan on. You could probably do better on the front track bar. Probably wont need brake line extensions with the zone shocks but a lot of your suspension questions (like how much bumpstop extension) will be answered when you are installing it. I would pass on the currie steering, get a zj tie rod, and use that money for better brakes
_KONG_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The Currie Steering was a gift, and I plan on using it. I understand brakes are an issue, but I can't float a Vanco kit.
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can always upgrade pads and rotors for now although it may still be an issue due to the extra weight of the LJ. Everything else sounds good but there is still room to optimize if you want your jeep to do more than get you down the road.
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you! I will consider that. I know there's like EBC Yellows or Blackstuff or something like that. I've never researched them because I've only seen them mentioned once here. Everyone offers up the end-all-be-all Vanco kit, which is frankly just not an option for most people.
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have any experience with them, but everyone around here seems to be really happy with these
http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com...-477-67045.htm
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
jeepjunkytj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have run a zone 4" short arm for about 3 years. I upgraded to a BDS long arm about 2years ago. Wish I had done that from the start. I made it 25 feet after the lift and 33's (and a big rock) before I bent the stock track bar. I'd look at a high line kit, you can run 33's with full articulation and no lift. I THINK you only need 2" puck lift to run 35's. (High line kit) raises the fenders and inlarges the wheel wells. Look good too
jeepjunkytj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
cbrant
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkytj View Post
I have run a zone 4" short arm for about 3 years. I upgraded to a BDS long arm about 2years ago. Wish I had done that from the start. I made it 25 feet after the lift and 33's (and a big rock) before I bent the stock track bar. I'd look at a high line kit, you can run 33's with full articulation and no lift. I THINK you only need 2" puck lift to run 35's. (High line kit) raises the fenders and inlarges the wheel wells. Look good too
I won't be running Zone Arms, I will be running Metalcloaks. I also will not be using the stock front track bar - upgrading to IRO/JKS/Metalcloak or some other. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.