Daves roof rack.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Daves roof rack....

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Daves roof rack....

I have been thinking about picking up a Daves Roof Rack for my TJ. On one of my past Wranglers I had a roof rack, I believe it was an Olympic brand. It was pretty stout and had no rattles to it.
A few of the things I like on the Daves Rack is that it can be raised for ease of folding down the soft top. It also comes with a basket mounted to the rack for easier carrying of crap. And has a 500 pound weight limit.
But, in the over all picture, how are these built? Do they rattle enough to drive you nuts. How will the extra displacement effect MPG?
Any feedback is appreciated.
FYI, I have located a used rack in great condition for less than $300. But if it ain't worth having, it ain't worth $300.

jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Gas mileage WILL drop. Dave's are supposed to be among the best, but if you don't haul stuff all of the time. I'd take it off. Wind noise is the complaint I've read most about, not rattles.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Dave's rack on my jeep. I use it all the time for camping, it really helped out with interior storage room.
If it cut gas mileage, I didn't notice, but I do get a lot of wind roar from it. When it is loaded, my top speed is limited to about 65-70 because of drag.

I bought mine used, and shortly after I got it, I had to reinforce the front bars where they mount to the windshield. They had cracked around the welds and were close to breaking in half. I put a sleeve inside each one and had it welded in place. 2 years now, no more problems.

The folding part of the rack is nice, one of the reasons I bought it. I also thought the fact that it flipped back to make a shade was kind of cool. Well, flipping the rack backwards isn't really practical since it is usually loaded, and its pretty heavy.
I paid about $300 for mine, and I would buy it again, but not for the flip feature.

Curly

Tags
daves , roof , rack

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.