Daughter's Build Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Daughter's Build Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #121
dla
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hank, As far as I know '97 is the only year the TJ came stock with cam bolts. The '98 and newer TJ's are not adjustable. The new adjustable cam bolt will replace the stock bolt and allow for forward and backward adjustment.

dla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #122
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
I just read the instructions on how to install the cam bolts... Now I am a little more confused, is it possible that the cam bolts I have are good but need a professional alignment to adjust them after the lift was installed? Or are the original cam bolts even adjustable at all? From the instructions it leads me to believe that I might can just have mine adjusted properly and be good to go.
If you already have cam bolts then you just need to loosen the nuts and rotate the bolt head. You'll notice that the bolt head is off center from the washer. Adjusting so that the bolt head is more rearward relative to the washer will add caster. Adjust both an equal amount and see how it drives.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #123
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Hank, As far as I know '97 is the only year the TJ came stock with cam bolts. The '98 and newer TJ's are not adjustable. The new adjustable cam bolt will replace the stock bolt and allow for forward and backward adjustment.
My '98 had cam bolts from the factory. They may have been a late model year deletion.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #124
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobub View Post
Ok yes, I did a little reading myself and you are correct. I never realized caster and toe were different, that really explains a lot. I apologize for giving false information, I try my best to not comment unless I know 100% sure what I am saying is correct. On a positive note, I stand corrected and now understand the difference myself . I have replaced all of my CA's and have noticed the "cam bolts", noticing they have lines on the brackets. I never understood the reasoning for this, but now that I know its adjustable it makes me wonder if I have mine set right. Than again, I have fully adj upper and lower arms, therefore maybe that is how I would adj. my caster at this point? Oh man I have a lot to read up on.
Not a problem poobub, I think this is how we all learn a few things.. I have learned a lot tonight.. #1 thing is for me to stick with YJ's and leave these TJ's alone Thanks for redeeming yourself, not everyone is in the habit of doing that...
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #125
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
Caster is the angle that the steering axis leans back from vertical. To add caster you need effectively lengthen the front lower control arms. Since you have the stock arms you'll need to add cam bolts to the axle ends of the lower control arms.
While skimming your thread I didn't see anywhere during the lift install that you dealt with the control arm bushings. You need to loosen all the control arm bushing bolts with the weight of the Jeep on the ground so that the torsion rubber bushings can 'relax' then re-tighten the bolts.
Sweeney you are correct I did not do anything with the control arm bushings. I am sure there are some torque specs for them when I retighten them?? I am sure if not to the right spec they can have a lot to do with a rough ride..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #126
dla
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
My '98 had cam bolts from the factory. They may have been a late model year deletion.
Or I might be wrong

Hank, I went out to the garage and took a photo for you...

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #127
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure if I have them or not, noticed I was reading instructions for a 07 model.. Ooops

If anyone has a picture I would appreciate it, not sure exactly what I am looking for. Control Arms are like greek to me.. I know where they are but there are a lot of bolts under there that I probably could label as cam bolts..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #128
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Or I might be wrong

I was typing a request for a pic when you posted that one.. Man you guys are great... Thanks a lot.. I will study this a little more but I think the fog is lifting a little...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #129
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Or I might be wrong

So the bolt that I see there is not OE equipment, I should not find that on my 04? correct?? But I need to install those and then have it aligned by a pro??
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #130
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
my bolts look very similar to this. They are no where near as shiny but they are mounted against a washer that is set off center. I am going to look through some pictures and see if I can find one, but im almost 100% positive mine look the same.

My jeep did have a 3" BDS on it when I got it, so I cant swear the bolts are stock, but all my CA's were stock so I would guess the bolts are as well.
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #131
dla
2000 TJ Wrangler 

On your 2004 the stock control arm bolt will be centered in the washer (non adjustable). After installing the cam bolt orientated as in the photo (maximum adjustment) take it for a ride and see how it feels.

When you lifted the Jeep you increased the angle of the control arms effectively decreasing the caster from the stock setting. This 1.5° increase should get you back, close to where it was.
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #132
dla
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
my bolts look very similar to this. They are no where near as shiny but they are mounted against a washer that is set off center. I am going to look through some pictures and see if I can find one, but im almost 100% positive mine look the same.

My jeep did have a 3" BDS on it when I got it, so I cant swear the bolts are stock, but all my CA's were stock so I would guess the bolts are as well.
The 3" BDS lift comes with the cam bolt kit included.
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #133
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just snapped this pic and I can see I do not have the adjustable type.

So by fixing this I will add more weight to the steering, and make it handle and drive better but will this do anything for the shimmy in the steering wheel.

My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #134
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The 3" BDS lift comes with the cam bolt kit included.
that explains it.. not to hi-jack this thread but seems to me that having adj. control arms would make these bolts a bit unnecessary?

P.S. Hanksride (feels a bit strange calling you this, but I didn't notice your name anywhere) if it turns out my bolts are useless, I will be removing them and you can have mine if you want to cover the flat rate charge of shipping. I'm not sure what they run for a new set, but the offer is on the table either way.
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #135
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
that explains it.. not to hi-jack this thread but seems to me that having adj. control arms would make these bolts a bit unnecessary?

P.S. Hanksride (feels a bit strange calling you this, but I didn't notice your name anywhere) if it turns out my bolts are useless, I will be removing them and you can have mine if you want to cover the flat rate charge of shipping. I'm not sure what they run for a new set, but the offer is on the table either way.
I sent you a PM, thanks for offer and I would be glad to pay shipping for them..
My-95-YJ Build Thread

Tags
arkansas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.