Daughter's Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Daughter's Build Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyGeneral View Post
Install super straight forward with just 2" since you're not replacing control arms. You shouldn't need a spring compressor if you have a high enough jack and a long pickle fork to wedge it in. Shocks are eas, you've probably done that on your YJ. I should suggest a 1.25"BL and a 1" motor mount lift so you wont have to drop your t case much
Yeah I have been doing some reading on getting the springs in, thought I would have to rent a spring compressor but I am going to try without one. I have a long pickle fork and a BFH, that should do it. I also have a warm shop and large jacks so shouldn't be to much of a prob.

I am going to see how this looks with the 31's and maybe one day I will bring it on up with a BL. It still has the 35 in the rear so don't want to put to much strain on that thing.

Also I have no experience with an automatic, bigger tires and gearing.. I want to see how the 3.07's do with the 31's. Don't want to steal all of her power from her if I can help it...

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You should be able to pop the springs right out. 3.07s should keep her from getting into trouble, in the Jeep anyways.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
You should be able to pop the springs right out. 3.07s should keep her from getting into trouble, in the Jeep anyways.
Yeah i still have 3.07's in my YJ with 33's and haven't seen 5th gear in a couple of years. She should not get to many speeding tickets with it that is for sure.

I just hope with the Auto that it isn't making it change in and out of high gear all the time. I am sure that can't be good for the tranny.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, 31" tires & 3.07 gears with a 42rle will be miserable. Rubicons came from the factory with 31" tires & 4.10 gears & the transmission still got confused.

You're going to want to re-gear.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Honestly, 31" tires & 3.07 gears with a 42rle will be miserable. Rubicons came from the factory with 31" tires & 4.10 gears & the transmission still got confused.

You're going to want to re-gear.
Dude I wasn't wanting to hear that... I guess driving it everyday will give her some incentive to save some cash for gears...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

How is the D-35 in the TJ's??? I know they are the worse talked about piece of trash on the YJ forum... I assume the same goes for them here... Wasn't sure if maybe something had changed in the 9 year time between my 95 and her 04. Are they even worth the regear???

Let me guess, Dana 44's, 4.56 gears, 6"'s of lift, 35" tires, flat fendered, SYE/CV/DS, ARB or OX lockers front and rear, new bumpers, winch, rock sliders etc.. etc... etc... Why is it with jeeps that one things constantly leads to another and another..

Ok off my soap box.. Just Empty Every Pocket... Yep she is going to have to live with this setup for a little while... My YJ gets regeared first...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #22
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
I know they are the worse talked about piece of trash on the YJ forum... I assume the same goes for them here...
You assume correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Let me guess, Dana 44's, 4.56 gears, 6"'s of lift, 35" tires, flat fendered, SYE/CV/DS, ARB or OX lockers front and rear, new bumpers, winch, rock sliders etc.. etc... etc...
No need for 6". All that other stuff is fine.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
TheDirtyGeneral

3" lift flat fenders sye cv shaft ford 8.8 rear arbs f&r obviously a regear new bumpers winch rocks sliders and 35's lol then you'll be set for a while.
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide
How is the D-35 in the TJ's??? I know they are the worse talked about piece of trash on the YJ forum... I assume the same goes for them here... Wasn't sure if maybe something had changed in the 9 year time between my 95 and her 04. Are they even worth the regear???
If she's going to stick w/31s, she's fine with a D35. Then I'd say it's worth the regear just from a daily driver standpoint.

If she even had 3.73s it would be marginally tolerable since she could just turn off the OD. But with 3.07s...

Honestly, I'd look for axles out of a 4cy manual. They'll have 4.10s, swap right in, and most likely be cheaper than a regear.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
TheDirtyGeneral

I have 373's and 33's on the same tranny and its tolerable but I live in the flats... the biggest hill around here is what we call mount trashmore lol. If you can find 4.10 gears out of a 4cy manual I know the JY by me sells complete axles for $250 drum to drum and buying two would be $500 which is less than the price of regearing one axle lol.
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #26
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tires and wheels are here...

They seem to have some good meat on them... I picked these tires because of all the tires I looked at and read the reviews on these seem to have the best reviews for mud, snow and Ice... I know they are not made for ice but they still carried the best reviews for it..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
kelso1337
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice!
On 31's chances are you won't need to do a gear change as immediatley as some of us. (33/34/35's on 3.07s is almost as bad as riding a bike to work)

You will probably eventually want to do some gear changes. Yes it can be expensive.

But there are other options.
Pick up a cheap D30/D35 from a 4cyl TJ (it will have 4.10 gears). Bam, rebuild as needed, swap in and she's got 4.10s
(Edit: ^ Rubiconrazorbac beat me too it)

sweeeeeeet
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #28
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso1337 View Post
Nice!
On 31's chances are you won't need to do a gear change as immediatley as some of us. (33/34/35's on 3.07s is almost as bad as riding a bike to work)

You will probably eventually want to do some gear changes. Yes it can be expensive.

But there are other options.
Pick up a cheap D30/D35 from a 4cyl TJ (it will have 4.10 gears). Bam, rebuild as needed, swap in and she's got 4.10s
(Edit: ^ Rubiconrazorbac beat me too it)

sweeeeeeet

I am running 33's and 3.07's in my YJ and have been for about a year or so. You are right, feels like a bike.. Only difference is, it is a standard shift so I didn't know how it would be with the auto... I can at least drop down to 4th or even 3rd in mine when i want to..

Check out my signature block link of our 3500 mile trip. My daughter and I in the YJ with 33's and 3.07's across country.. That was an experience but I think that is where she developed her love for a jeep, so it was well worth it to me..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #29
BrowningGal
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm the proud owner of TJ being built up in this thread! That's right! Hank'sRide's daughter has now joined the forum! I joined a few months back but I never really got into it until we started work on my baby. I'm now a Jeep fanatic. I'm so excited to get her built up and made the way I want her. I'm in college so it'll be one piece at a time, but everyone will be updated with every step by either my father and I, I'm sure. Thank you everyone for the advice for my dad and I on this task! It also helped me begin to understand more about Jeeps...even though I still really don't have a clue. But that's what this forum is for right?! lol Anyways, thank you everyone and I hope that I'll be talking to more of you soon!

Ciao!
BrowningGal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #30
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pic of BrowningGal's Jeep as it sits today!!

Measurement under driver door, Stock!!
My-95-YJ Build Thread

Tags
arkansas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.