Daughter's Build Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Daughter's Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 01-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #136
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure of the torque spec for the control arm bolts... I've just cranked them down really tight. Doing so pinches the inner metal sleeve of the bushing in the mount preventing it from rotating around the bolt which is what you want. The rubber does all the flexing as designed.

If you have adjustable arms then there is no need for cam bolts as changing the length of the arms accomplishes the same thing as rotating the cam bolts.

Adding caster will add 'weight' to the steering and make the Jeep want to track straighter and the steering wheel will more aggressively seek center. If all else is healthy in your steering assembly the shimmy should go away as well.

Make sure you address all the control arm bushings, both uppers and lowers. As is, with the lift, the bushings are stressed while the Jeep sits. You want them to be relaxed when static.

Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #137
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
I'm not sure of the torque spec for the control arm bolts... I've just cranked them down really tight. Doing so pinches the inner metal sleeve of the bushing in the mount preventing it from rotating around the bolt which is what you want. The rubber does all the flexing as designed.

If you have adjustable arms then there is no need for cam bolts as changing the length of the arms accomplishes the same thing as rotating the cam bolts.

Adding caster will add 'weight' to the steering and make the Jeep want to track straighter and the steering wheel will more aggressively seek center. If all else is healthy in your steering assembly the shimmy should go away as well.

Make sure you address all the control arm bushings, both uppers and lowers. As is, with the lift, the bushings are stressed while the Jeep sits. You want them to be relaxed when static.
Thanks Sweeny, I will definitely give these things a try. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get it done because I don't have the bolts right now and I am going to be out of town for a week. Do you see any terrible effects from driving with these issues a few more hundred miles prior to getting this accomplished? Daughter will need to go back to college before I get back from trip so I am sure she will be putting some miles on it. Would it be worth it to relax the bushings now and finishing the rest later or just do it all at once?

Thanks again to everyone who has got in on this subject.. I have learned a tremendous amount and you guys have been awesome.
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #138
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Thanks Sweeny, I will definitely give these things a try. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get it done because I don't have the bolts right now and I am going to be out of town for a week. Do you see any terrible effects from driving with these issues a few more hundred miles prior to getting this accomplished? Daughter will need to go back to college before I get back from trip so I am sure she will be putting some miles on it. Would it be worth it to relax the bushings now and finishing the rest later or just do it all at once?

Thanks again to everyone who has got in on this subject.. I have learned a tremendous amount and you guys have been awesome.
I double checked today to make sure and I do have the cam bolts. I am going to look into some replacements tomorrow as I shop for a few things to tackle my clutch swap this weekend. Hopefully if the clutch install goes well I will have them out for you this weekend and able to send first of the week.
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #139
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobub View Post
I double checked today to make sure and I do have the cam bolts. I am going to look into some replacements tomorrow as I shop for a few things to tackle my clutch swap this weekend. Hopefully if the clutch install goes well I will have them out for you this weekend and able to send first of the week.
Man that would be great, like I said I am going out of town for a week but I will PM you my phone number and address. If you don't need them and get the shipping cost figured let me know.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #140
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would take care of the bushings now. As it sits, they are stressed and that will ultimately reduce the life expectancy

The Jeep can be driven but you should let your daughter know to beware of the handling. For the Jeep, driving it in this condition will only increase wear on the steering components though the amount is probably negligible.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #141
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

BrowningGal and her friends added their own mod today.. Getting ready for the Cotton Bowl tonight...

My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #142
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You going to the Gorilla Run BrowningGal?
gorillarunflyer85x14.jpg  
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #143
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well we rotated the tires this afternoon and took the YJ for a spin and no more vibration in the steering wheel. The drivers side tire looked a little odd to me, it almost looked like it was small around on the inside half of the tire than the outside half. Now I don't think it has been on the jeep long enough to have worn like this. I put it on the back and will keep an eye on it over they next few weeks to see what happens with it. I am also having daughter get them all re-balanced this next week.

I am about to decided I may have gotten a bad tire in the bunch, if so I will move it to the spare and it should be good for that.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #144
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Woke up this morning to this!! She went out with her boyfriend and other jeep friends yesterday/last night to one of their favorite hang out spots..

Her and the her boyfriend spent about 10 to 15 bucks at the car wash this afternoon..

She normally doesn't get in the mud with hers, but after she sent me some pics last night of some friends jeeps that were getting muddy I told her she better not come home with it clean...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #145
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Playing in the mud is fun, cleaning it isn't! I stay away from the mud! she will too after she has to clean it a few times.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #146
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRod View Post
Playing in the mud is fun, cleaning it isn't! I stay away from the mud! she will too after she has to clean it a few times.
Yes I agree and I think she figured some of that out yesterday. Mud goes on a lot easier than it comes off.. They did a pretty good job cleaning it up..
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #147
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haha, that thing is pretty muddy!

I spent an entire day cleaning/power washing mine last trip out only to still find mud inside my jeep here and there lol.

I'm also pretty sure that's what toasted my throw out bearing, my bellhousing was caked in mud when I recently did my swap.
Unread 01-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #148
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Poobub for the Cam Bolts, received them today. I will get my old ones mailed out soon as possible. We plan on changing them out tomorrow sometime.

We are also going to do a complete tune up on her jeep along with 02 sensor. I hoping maybe to squeeze another mile or two out of a tank a gas for her.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #149
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide
Thanks Poobub for the Cam Bolts, received them today. I will get my old ones mailed out soon as possible. We plan on changing them out tomorrow sometime.

We are also going to do a complete tune up on her jeep along with 02 sensor. I hoping maybe to squeeze another mile or two out of a tank a gas for her.
Hey no problem bud, glad we could help each other out.

As for the O2 sensor, I would recommend NOT buying a bosch brand. I put one in a past TJ and it lasted about 5 months before I had to replace it again. It took 2 different purchases before I decided to research the forum only to see everyone else had bad experiences as well.
Unread 01-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #150
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got the cam bolts installed and did notice a difference in the amount of weight felt on the front steering. Steering wheel feels more like it is suppose to feel. I also believe it returns to center a little quicker and easier than before.

Poobub, my old bolts should be in the mail to you tomorrow.
My-95-YJ Build Thread

Tags
arkansas

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.