Daughter's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Daughter's Build Thread

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Daughter's Build Thread

I have another thread that basically spells out my plan but I wanted to start a build thread for her jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/18...think-1286998/

Story one more time in order to bring us up to where we are now.

My daughter recently bought a 04 TJ Sport, 4.0L Auto Trans, 63K in mileage and it is completely stock from the ground up. All my jeep experience is with YJ's and leaf springs. For Christmas we are going to install a 2" BDS lift, shocks and 31X10.50's on black steel rims.

Questions I have now - I am about to pull the trigger on the lift but noticed a few things that I am unsure about.. This statement came up on the web site when I started to purchase the lift.

Important Kit Notes
1. If your Jeep is not equipped from the factory with front cam bolts on the lower control arms, you will need the 124311 cam bolt kit in the options section in order to properly align the vehicle.
2. Rubicon models may require OEM skid plate modification.

I don't know if it has factory front cam bolts or not, don't even know what they are.. I don't understand the long arm, short arm, rear lower control arms, cam's etc at all. I did read the instructions to the lift and it was talking about marking the adjustment cam etc.. I think I need a basic TJ suspension lesson. I have been building my YJ for a few years now and pretty much understand all that but this seems like greek to me.

Can someone shed some light on some of this for me. Do I need to order the cam bolt kit with this lift?

Also to ensure the best drivability would I need an upgraded steering stabalizer?

I plan on doing a lot more reading on the forum but was wanting to get the kit ordered soon and need to know what all I need to purchase.

Thanks,

3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

One other quick question, will I need to get a rear track bar bracket, or adjustable trackbar?? Not sure what a 2" lift is going to get me into here.
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
TheDirtyGeneral

Look at the OME bracket for the rear track bar. Designed for 2-3 in of lift. You will be off center by an inch or so without it.
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
TheDirtyGeneral

YJ's dont use control arms or track bars so this is a whole new world for you lol. Short arms is going to be factory mounting locations on axle and frame long arms will take off the factory frame location and add new mounting locations closer to the tranny skid on the frame. As far as which is better is completely up for debate but with 2" of lift you wont be needing to replace any control arms.

I can't help you with the cam bolt question, frankly I just dont know lol.

and you shouldn't ever "need" an upgraded steering stabilizer its usually used to mask a DW issue instead of fix it and with 2" I dont think you'll have any bump steer issues as long as you stay away from drop pitman arms. We dont use Dpitmans in the TJ world.
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Which lift are you looking at? <edit: NVM, see 2" BDS> Sounds like a 4WP quote to me....

The cam bolts allow for slight adjustment of the arm at the mounting point. Here's the best close up pic I could find: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/1102_4wd_4x4_suspension_basics/photo_14.html

The cam bolts shouldn't be necessary, but may be to get it back into alignment if you replace the arms. Arm and trackbar replacement shouldn't be necessary with a 2" lift however.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need any cam bolts or anything else for a 2" lift.If you get vibes,a few washers to drop the t case or a MML will fix it.If the axle shifting 1/2" to the side bothers you,a rear track bar bracket for $17 will fix it.A new steering stabilizer won't do anything unless the old one is leaking and shot.When I had a couple 2" lifts,I didn't need anything except shocks and springs.You will need an alignment (set toe in to 1/8")after the lift.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
I think I need a basic TJ suspension lesson. I have been building my YJ for a few years now and pretty much understand all that but this seems like greek to me.

Can someone shed some light on some of this for me. Do I need to order the cam bolt kit with this lift?

Also to ensure the best drivability would I need an upgraded steering stabalizer?

I plan on doing a lot more reading on the forum but was wanting to get the kit ordered soon and need to know what all I need to purchase.

Thanks,
Here's a write up that describes cam bolts and the alignment:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/in-t...ml#post1767596

An upgraded steering stabilizer is a good idea. Monroe makes a nice one available at your local auto parts store. Don't overthink this, all stabilizers are pretty much the same 50/50 valving, no need to spend a fortune on one. I spent $27 on mine.

As for a lesson in TJ suspensions - it's all simple high school geometry. Everything moves an series of arcs. Here's some reading:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...embers-722109/ <--most important read
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/corr...gth-70047.html
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bu...points-734737/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone above, I think you have answered a lot of my questions. Yes, TJ's are a different animal than my YJ suspension. TJ's seem a lot more complicated to me, but I guess it is what you know or get used to.

I am going to get the BDS 2" lift and shocks, install that and see where we are at then as far as vibes.

One more question, can I take the rear trackbar off and throw it away like I did on my YJ or is that a no no in the coil spring realm?? What kind of hihgway manners will it have without it??

Thanks again...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
One more question, can I take the rear trackbar off and throw it away like I did on my YJ or is that a no no in the coil spring realm??
No. Don't do this. Leafs and coils different.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

One more question, can I take the rear trackbar off and throw it away like I did on my YJ or is that a no no in the coil spring realm?? What kind of hihgway manners will it have without it??
I'm no expert, but I believe this is a big no-no. Inability to maintain control is what I recall being the result.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It appears that the alignment works exactly like the YJ, a board with a nail to mark the tires, measure front and back of tires to get 1/8" toe-in.. Not a problem there, been doing that for a while on the YJ, just appeared to me there are more moving parts on the TJ. haha
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do NOT Remove the Track Bar it will cause Major Handling Issues!
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
No. Don't do this. Leafs and coils different.
Copy that, I thought that might be the answer but thought it would not hurt to ask.. Sure like them off on the leaf springs, much better...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok here is what we have coming.

31X10.50X15 Dick Cepek Mud Country Tires (5 EA) Be here tomorrow.
15 X 8 Rock Crawler Series 52 Flat black Wheels, black center caps and lugs (5 EA) Be here tomorrow.
2" BDS Springs and Shocks (Just ordered tonight)

Saved 65.00 on the BDS lift due to it being cyber Monday + free shipping..

I may need some help from you guys when the install starts in a few weeks.

Thanks for everything...
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
TheDirtyGeneral

Install super straight forward with just 2" since you're not replacing control arms. You shouldn't need a spring compressor if you have a high enough jack and a long pickle fork to wedge it in. Shocks are eas, you've probably done that on your YJ. I should suggest a 1.25"BL and a 1" motor mount lift so you wont have to drop your t case much

Tags
arkansas

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.