Dash Squeak Fix! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash Squeak Fix!

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 03-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
05TNRubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dash Squeak Fix!

I have been chasing a squeak behind the dash for weeks. It has sounded like I have a nest of baby birds just behind the radio. I removed the radio and drove around till the squeak started so I could reach in the dash and stop the squeak with my hand. What I found was the air duct for the defrost that is molded to fit along the fire wall was rubbing the fire wall. I shoved larges pieces of rubber between the two and some foam and now NO SQUEAK! I hope this helps anybody that is searching.

05TNRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
CrimeSScene
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Been living with the same sound for months...I'll be giving this a try tonight!
CrimeSScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Delta9
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! It only happens every once in awhile, but it's annoying. Hopefully this is my problem.
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

saved for later.
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine did that too once. I got a can of that spray expanding foam and sprayed some behind the duct work. No more squeaks.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
willatthe4077th
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've been dealing with the same thing, finally fixed it today. Underneath the long plastic pannel that covers the vents along the inside of the windshield (you can remove it by prying it off) there are two m6 nuts on either side of the steering wheel that hold the driver's side of the dash in place. The one on the right side was totally missing (I have no idea why) but I replaced it, with a washer too, and NO MORE SQUEAK! AND no more jiggly dash either, didn't realize how bad it was until it stopped.
willatthe4077th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
StvDiego

I spent the weekend chasing a squeak, found this, an old Sirius radio tuner from the original owner:
dashopen.jpg   sirius-sqeuk.jpg  
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Sparkyman2000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willatthe4077th View Post
I've been dealing with the same thing, finally fixed it today. Underneath the long plastic pannel that covers the vents along the inside of the windshield (you can remove it by prying it off) there are two m6 nuts on either side of the steering wheel that hold the driver's side of the dash in place. The one on the right side was totally missing (I have no idea why) but I replaced it, with a washer too, and NO MORE SQUEAK! AND no more jiggly dash either, didn't realize how bad it was until it stopped.
Funny used to be a service bulletin for that called "Missing screw Bulletin" for that exact rattle. I have installed that nut about 1000 times.
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
montanamule

Ok guys, straight up. I have a 2000 TJ sahara, 4.0L. I've been chasing a squeak that I thought was angry sparrows. Also thought it was this nut or the firewall vent. My friend found the problem. It was the shifter for the 4WD. It wasn't pushed down all the way. That produces a fairly annoying squeak!
montanamule is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.