dash lights just went out, along with running lights, and tail lights. what happened - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dash lights just went out, along with running lights, and tail lights. what happened

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

dash lights just went out, along with running lights, and tail lights. what happened

i just turned on my head lights like 2 nights ago and the whole dash cluster went out (but the functions light up), the ac controls, the tail lights (although brake lights work), and the orange side markers and running lights. i checked the cluster fuse and its fine. but basically all the stuff that require that 12v illumination just won't turn on. is that a switch thing, or a bad ground, i feel like i'm definately not the first person to have this problem.

any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

bortz1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
LandoCommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do the gauges still work and just the back lights are dead?
Or is everything out and not reporting.

Oh the irony.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

everything still works, everything is functioning. that annoying shift light still comes on, when i'm low on gas the light comes on. the airbag light and all that other stuff lights up when i turn it on. but when i turn on the head light switch the gauges don't illuminate, the tail lights don't turn on, the parking lights don't light up...however the head lights still turn on and the brake lights light up when i apply the brake. all the fuses are ok it seems.
Unread 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

As the brake lights are still working fuse 4 in the PDC is OK. That supplies fuses 1 (dash/marker lights and immobiliser), fuse 2 (stop lamps) and fuse 3 (fog lamps) in the internal fuse panel.

I'd pull fuse 1 from the panel behind the fuse box and check it properly if you've not already pulled it. If the fuse is OK you may have a problem with the head lamp switch, or the wiring from the fuse panel to the switch. Check for live at the tan/black wire which is the feed from the fuse. The outputs for the external and dash lights are on different wires so I expect the problem is with the supply side.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i'll try that, thanks man.
Unread 02-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
hendroxy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Johnny I would just like to say that this thread just fixed the same problem for me as I have just found a broken fuse #1. Thank you!!!!
hendroxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
TJ_ITmgr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good job Johnny jeep!! That fixed my issue as well. I didn't think that the parkling lamp fuse (#1) would have anything to do with giving fire to my dash lights, and HVAC lights. Learn something new everyday. Thanks
1997 TJ, 4.0, 5 Spd, Low miles, Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift, 3in body lift, Mega Short SYE and custom shaft, 33x12.50 Maxxis Bighorns, 15x8 Soft 8's, 8.8 Rear w/LS, HP D30 w/LockRight and 3.73's
TJ_ITmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mine is fixed as well.
Unread 03-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That happened to me last month. Fuses were fine, but I had no interior lights, no ac light or dash lights, nothing... if you still have an issue replace the knob that you pull out to turn on the lights. That's what I had to do and now its fine.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

In case any one reads this for info. I've recently answered someone else with this problem and noticed whilst referring to FSM that the power from the dimmer control goes though fuse 12 inside the Jeep before heading to the dash lamps. If you have front and rear marker lamps but no dash lamps check that fuse too.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jonny! 1 was fried and 12 was fine.
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
twhditto
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Been a while since I have been on, but Jeepforum answered the quick question again! #1 was blown - the only fuse I did not check. Thanks guys!!!
Unread 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
trigga
1999 TJ Wrangler 

fuse 1 was my problem. Thanks!!!
trigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
w1ldcat329

Hey guys im having the same problem.. fuse 1 is blown but keeps blowin every time i turn the power on.. what is the next step i should take?
w1ldcat329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
twhditto
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You might check and see if you have some corrosion. Sometimes that can blow the fuses.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.