dash lights help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dash lights help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
K1dS3ns4t10n
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapparose View Post
The turn signal, headlight, dash dimmer is steering wheel mounted of course. 90$ piece. Wasn't looking forward to buying it. Luckily, discount auto took the choice away from me by not having any in stock. Lol.
LOL! That sticker shock for a new switch was the same reason I left the parts store with just my old switch in hand and sprayed it with a can of non-residue contact cleaner when I got home, which fixed it.

Even with your column mounted switch, I wouldn't think you'd have to take the steering wheel off to get at it. Just get the the plastic cover off the column, find the switch and if you can see the dimmer contacts. Spray them with contact cleaner and see if that solves it.

K1dS3ns4t10n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
bigpapparose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, turns out I didn't have to take the steering wheel off, just the column cover. Didn't have any residue remover so that will be purchased after work tomorrow. Seems simple enough and the column was a breeze to remove. Probably made it easier that the dash was in the back seat.

Appreciate the info. Will try that first. If not, I'll prob have to order a new one and bite the bullet.

Yesterday was productive none the less. Oil change, fixed daylighters, radio short fixed, oil change. Not bad
bigpapparose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

before you get too far.

if the dimmer switch is dimming the odometer display, it is working as there is only one feed to the instrument cluster (based on my 01 FSM)

since this means that the prob is in the instrument cluster, you could hot wire 12 volts to the feed coming out of the cluster to the hvac controls. it would also back feed into the cluster and everything may light up. this is risky but meh, the cluster would be considered crap anyway at this point.
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #19
bigpapparose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think hot-wiring anything is probably beyond my capabilities. I don't want to go ruining anything and cost myself more than I had to initially.

The odometer does dim correctly as the switch turns, which is why I'm baffled
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Read this thread. It ended up being his multi-fuction switch.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/da...-works-981642/
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #21
bigpapparose
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks cuder.

That's pretty much how I mine is going to turn out. I'll prob need to by a headlight multifunction switch

Tags
dash , instrument , instrument cluster , light dash electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.