Dash fan not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash fan not working

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
gm77979
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dash fan not working

The dash fan (AC/heater) would not come on today. It now will only work on the forth speed (high).
Any ideas on what is wrong or how to diagnose the problem.
2003 Wrangler 13,000 miles

Thanks

Glen

gm77979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A bad blower motor resistor will cause this.

A very common problem. They are easy to replace.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The usual diagnosis for losing fan speeds is a failed resistor. The resistor steps down the voltage to slow down the fan. Speed four is 'no resistance', so it continues to work.
The resistor is located behind the glove box, and is a relatively cheap and easy fix (ruling out the 'hanging upside down under the dash like a bat in the daytime' and getting the @^$#^%#^#^%!!!!! electrical connection to pop loose); part costs less than $20.
Do a search; there are great photos to help you find the resistor, which is a challenge in itself.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
The usual diagnosis for losing fan speeds is a failed resistor. The resistor steps down the voltage to slow down the fan. Speed four is 'no resistance', so it continues to work.
The resistor is located behind the glove box, and is a relatively cheap and easy fix (ruling out the 'hanging upside down under the dash like a bat in the daytime' and getting the @^$#^%#^#^%!!!!! electrical connection to pop loose); part costs less than $20.
Do a search; there are great photos to help you find the resistor, which is a challenge in itself.
Moon
But you have to use the google search for now till we get our new servers
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Rossta

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Moon
Would this be the same diagnosis if speeds 1,2 and 4 work but not 3? This is the problem I am having with mine. I am guessing the answer is "yes", but my situation is slightly different from the OP's.
Rossta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Woodyhfd
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Leave your fan off until you fix this! The damaged resistor can cause the wires leading to it to overheat and melt, making the fix a bit more complicated.
Unread 09-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossta
Would this be the same diagnosis if speeds 1,2 and 4 work but not 3? This is the problem I am having with mine. I am guessing the answer is "yes", but my situation is slightly different from the OP's.
Yep.

I'm missing my lowest speed fan, I really oughta get around to fixing that haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossta
Flatlander had the same issue I did; #1 was out, I'm not sure for how long, before I got around to fixing it.
So, yes, it's the same diagnosis.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Rossta

OK, thanks for the responses moon, flatlander and woody!
Rossta is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.