Dash Board Light Not Working after New Stereo Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dash Board Light Not Working after New Stereo Install

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
higgins192
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dash Board Light Not Working after New Stereo Install

Hey Forum,
i just installed a Alpine head unit into my 99' TJ. well i bought this form Crutchfield so it came with the wire harness well the instillation went ok but as i was pushing the head unit in and my dash lights turned out but everything like the guages work except the lights. ive check the fuses and none are still blown. can you please help me?

higgins192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

maybe grounding your illumination wire?

I would pull the deck and check for any pinched or cut wires, could have got caught when you pushed the deck in.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are a couple of wires that are not used. There is an illumination wire that provided power to the lights in your factory radio and there is also a dimmer wire that would dim said lights. Both are not used with an aftermarket stereo and need to be taped off so that they do not ground out against something back there. Pull your aftermarket radio back out. Any wires that are unused on the harness need to have electical tape wrapped around the end so that no piece of bare wire is exposed. Reinstall and then find the fuse that you blew. I am 98% confident you blew a fuse.
seadoons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
cvisinho
2005 TJ Wrangler 

check above but pull the deck out and check to see if any other harnesses were made loose back there while stuffing wires in the back.
cvisinho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
jeepmudgirl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. The person who installed it tapped into my dash light wire as the ground. Kept blowing the fuse and I didn't have any dash lights or tail lights.
All Girl Jeep Club Member #4
White Jeep Club Member #24
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport - Stock..for now
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 4" lift with 33's
8.8, AtoZ rocker guards,Rockhard cage add on....etc.
jeepmudgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
higgins192
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah after yakeing my whole dash apart i called Crutchfield and go figure it was the fuse i didnt see/check which was #3 behind the glove box labeled "pannel Lights". needless to say i felt stupid. but the orange and white wire grounded out blowing the fuse. so after reassembeling my dash and clipping the orange and white wire and a trip to Walmart later for my 10A fuse it was back working again.. thank you all for your help and Merphy's Law got me good
higgins192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
kermithood

murphy's
kermithood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
instrument cluster , lights , not working , stereo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.