Dark gray interior colored paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dark gray interior colored paint

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Strizzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dark gray interior colored paint

I got a set of half doors for CHEEEEEAAAAAAP ($75 for the set), but they came red with tan interior panels. My jeep is black and already have the door color taken care of. I just don't want to spend over $200 for interior panels. I was thinking of painting them, but the closest color I can find right now is black. I would like to have them match the interior as closely as possible and was wondering if anyone has found a dark gray plastic paint that will work. Any other ideas are also appreciated.

-Steve

Strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I do not know if there is an aftermarket color that is a match but you can get interior colors from the dealer.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Is your interior that dark slate gray? (Looks charcoal - almost black?)

If so the Hammerite Black is a dead match.
(The armrest in this pic is painted with it)
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...0&ppuser=71619
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Strizzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Is your interior that dark slate gray? (Looks charcoal - almost black?)

If so the Hammerite Black is a dead match.
(The armrest in this pic is painted with it)
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...0&ppuser=71619
That's the interior I have.

I would rather not have a glossy paint for the panel.
Strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
spsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzy View Post
That's the interior I have.

I would rather not have a glossy paint for the panel.
Did you ever find a solution for painting your door panels? I also bought half doors and need to match the door panels to "dark slate gray" and was wondering if there are any local options for getting the paint (also from Chicago burbs). I've seen the paint on eBay but it's about $20 a can with shipping.
spsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
Reaper6
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm looking for the same fix. I got a set of half doors with tan interior panels that I need to paint dark gray...
Reaper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
trailinAZ2MI
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing, i got just painted mine with flat blat plastic fusion and textured grey, i just coated them with the black and then went over with the grey real light, turned out really good. It took a few tries to get the technique right and make it match, but i am real happy with how it turned out.
trailinAZ2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I took my door panels to an auto interior shop to have them painted in camel from dark grey (same as yours)... They came up with the color by mixing some paint shades untill they got to the right shade. They used one of the front speaker cover as a template.
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #9
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper6 View Post
I'm looking for the same fix. I got a set of half doors with tan interior panels that I need to paint dark gray...
If only you came a year earlier we could have just swapped panels
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
BNLfan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It took me a while to track down the paint part numbers. The first time I went to the dealer, one of the guys took me to their detailing shop where they just used dupli-colors that were "close enough". The next time I went in, I had the part numbers for the rattle-cans, and the regular parts guys were surprised the other guy had done that--of course you can order interior colors! So sometimes it depends on who you talk to at your dealer, huh?

Dark Khaki, ZJ8, or J8, is a dark gray color. 5134794AA will get you 8oz of spray paint for about $10 a can.

Medium Khaki, ZJ3, or J3, is a tan color. It was called just plain "Khaki" when it came out. 5101904AA

Why did they call both of the colors Khaki? beats me!!!
BNLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
GentleBen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You might want to check out DupliColor Fabric & Vinyl they offer a lot of colors. Very happy with the paint in mine, but that was flat black.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
plowboy1970
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought black half doors with the dark color interior that you have. I have a 97 with spice interior. I need your panels and you need mine. WANNA SWAP???? Mine are a 02 door.
plowboy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
plowboy1970
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Doors

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_4094.jpg
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
spsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1970 View Post
I just bought black half doors with the dark color interior that you have. I have a 97 with spice interior. I need your panels and you need mine. WANNA SWAP???? Mine are a 02 door.
I wish I could trade with you since you live so close to me. The problem is my current doors are the light gray ones. I'd gladly trade with you if you would still like to help a brother out. I'll throw in $20 for interior paint if that'll do the trick.
spsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
plowboy1970
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith View Post
I wish I could trade with you since you live so close to me. The problem is my current doors are the light gray ones. I'd gladly trade with you if you would still like to help a brother out. I'll throw in $20 for interior paint if that'll do the trick.
I bought the doors off of CL in McHenry last week!!!! Might be interested if Strizzy is not interested. I have spice and I can get them online but they are butt puckering priced!!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.