Dana Super 44 Difficulties - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana Super 44 Difficulties

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Dana Super 44 Difficulties

First the background: This Spring I installed new outer (shaft) bearings and seals, as well as inspected the limited slip carrier for excessive signs of wear, excessive backlash etc. Everything checked out. I reassembled everything and filled 'er up with fresh fluids.

Fast forward to July, add 500 miles and we arrive on the trail.

Boom.

Spider Gear Grenade Goes Off.

The Spider gears both blew to pieces while on a hill climb. One of the pieces cracked open the stock diff cover like a can opener as the ring gear finished off the pieces and ground them down to fragments.

Trail run over.

That brings me to today. After much research, discussion and agonizing I decided on the following direction for my d44 rear:

Replace Stock 3.72 gears with G2 4.89 gears
Replace Stock carrier with Eaton's Detroit 33 Spline 'Super 44" locker
Replace Stock Shafts with G2 Alloy 33 Spline Shafts
Replace all bearings etc. (obviously)
Move carrier shims outboard of the carrier races instead of on the bearing journals (Eaton, Randy's, watercooler all agree)

Now as I am attempting to do the setup I come across the following problem - I cannot get enough side-to-side adjustment to correctly set the backlash.

Eaton says the carrier is 1/4" narrower because they make only one variant instead of a 3.92 up and a 3.92 down. This way they can accommodate all gear sets. MY issue with this statement is that I only have .136 of shims in place and that is WITH the recommended case spread of .015 applied via Case Spreader Tool.

When I install all .136 of these shims on the left side of the carrier and .000 (none) to the left side I still have .028 of backlash. The recommended range is .006 - .0012.

It would take .030 of adjustment further into the pinion to achieve a .007 setting ( Yukon estimates .010 of shims shifted from right to left moves the backlash .007 downward).

So I am stuck with a dilemma here. What to do?

The option that seems both the most logical and the most crazy at the same time is to machine down the inner surface of the housing where the bearing cup/shim makes contact. This would be a tricky business as I am not a machinist nor do I have a professional machinists tools. What I do have is a very good air sander and a lot of 400, 1000, and 1500 grit discs for said sander. I think I can be very very patient while carefully removing .035 or so of the surface to give me my theoretical additional adjustment that is needed.

Thoughts?

Unread 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

bump. Still need help.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good luck sir. Wish I could help. Maybe post this on Pirate
chopperkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Hotrodyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you completely remove the spreader when you checked backlash?
Hotrodyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
ftgiles

What is part number 187SL192a for?
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the spreader off completely.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Hotrodyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dang I'm at a loss other than machining but I've never tried the shims outside the bearings before either
Hotrodyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure that the pinion is in deep enough?
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodyj View Post
Dang I'm at a loss other than machining but I've never tried the shims outside the bearings before either
Did you look up that part number? What's the part number for the locker you have?
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

# is 187SL-192A.
I thought about pinion depth. Originally I had .050 of depth shims to match what came off there. I added the rest of the pack that came with my rebuild kit to a total of .074. I guess I could reuse thenold and add a total of .125 but that's an awful lot of depth adjustment.
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesman300 View Post
# is 187SL-192A.
I thought about pinion depth. Originally I had .050 of depth shims to match what came off there. I added the rest of the pack that came with my rebuild kit to a total of .074. I guess I could reuse thenold and add a total of .125 but that's an awful lot of depth adjustment.
That is the 3.92 and up carrier part number. So that is the right carrier if you have regular, not thick gears.

What shim kit are you using? There are shim kits that have several thick spacers in them that are used for spacing with lockers.
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
ftgiles

SHK004 shim kit is what you need.
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

SHK004 is an ARB part, they actually say to use SHK009. I have that kit and it works great as outboard shims. I have a standard 4.89 gear kit and not the thick gears made for 3.92 and down carriers.
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesman300 View Post
SHK004 is an ARB part, they actually say to use SHK009. I have that kit and it works great as outboard shims. I have a standard 4.89 gear kit and not the thick gears made for 3.92 and down carriers.
Sorry, I can't read my writing. My 9 looked like a 4. You've got the right one. Does it have some thick spacers?

I have always bought shim kits that have the spacers from Superior but have not bought any since they went away. I know OX sells the shim kit that includes spacers.
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
ftgiles

Are you using bearing LM104949 and race LM104912 for the carrier?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.