dana 44 wheel bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dana 44 wheel bearings

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 07-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

dana 44 wheel bearings

OK so i'm a little confused on this. Internet sources tell me SKF BR10 or Timken U399 are the ones to get.

Got some SKF BR10s and the thing looks like a unit bearing. That is, i cannot remove the bearing race, which i was going to install into the housing. My question is ... if i press the bearing onto the axle shaft, then press the axle shaft into the housing ... how the hell do i get it out ?

The bearing i just removed came out with the cone on the axle shaft and the race in the housing, which is what i expected to find with the BR 10.

Is this SKF BR 10 the wrong one to use after all???

Thanks.

fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I seem to recall that my bearings were together (cone and race) when I did mine and install at the same time. When I removed the axle the race stayed in the houseing like yours did. So it all sounds good.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you gotta remove the bearing race before installing the new shaft. got a slide hammer?

see here:
Getting the Shaft: Replacing An Axle Shaft
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
I seem to recall that my bearings were together (cone and race) when I did mine and install at the same time. When I removed the axle the race stayed in the houseing like yours did. So it all sounds good.
I just did some more online searches and apprently that's how it really is and i did not buy a wrong bearing.

But what happens with it installed that makes the race stick in there but not removable prior to installing the axle-shaft???

Either way, thanks, just wanted to confirm before i stick everything in there and realize i cant get it out LOL
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
you gotta remove the bearing race before installing the new shaft. got a slide hammer?

see here:
Getting the Shaft: Replacing An Axle Shaft
I don't know where you found that article, but toss it back. I've replaced at least 50 Dana 44 Set 10 bearings and not a single time have I done more than hook the race with both thumbs and wiggle it right out of the housing end.

The vast majority of cups are temporily glued to the cones for shipping and installation. The old cup should be removed from the housing end and if you wish, a simple tap with a screwdriver will separate the new cup off the cone if you want to install it first, although there is no need to.
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The vast majority of cups are temporily glued to the cones for shipping and installation. The old cup should be removed from the housing end and if you wish, a simple tap with a screwdriver will separate the new cup off the cone if you want to install it first, although there is no need to.
excellent info mrblaine. Thanks much, it makes total sense now

Tags
dana 44 , wheel bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.