Dana 44 v. Built Dana 30 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 v. Built Dana 30

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #16
offroad349

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I gotta upgrade the profile, did an inline6 swap haha

offroad349 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

it pops up every so often, but 37s on a TJ is the breaking point (literally), regardless of (HP)Dana30 or Dana44 and strengthened axles or not.

OP: what's the upside of running 37s instead of 35s for you at this point? It takes money to make that step ...
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look at my original post. This thread is from 2010.

For the record, I am have a 14 bolt rear and 60 front to turn 40"s.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Look at my original post. This thread is from 2010.

For the record, I am have a 14 bolt rear and 60 front to turn 40"s.
that's something I completely missed
The exception to the rule dug up this old thread ... and whatever 'wheel the HELL outta my jeep' means ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad349 View Post
I have a 2000 TJ running 37's on a stock D30, 4.88 gears, inner C Gussets, stock shafts, and I wheel the HELL outta my jeep with no problem. I have a buddy who runs 40's on a 2014 JK STOCK D30 with no problems....its all in how you drive. Good Luck!!
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah no worries. I was a bit surprised when I saw this one resurface. It has some valid discussion points.

IMO
1) A D30 just won't hand 37's with the terrain I am used to.
2) I've seen JK 44's handle 37's with a lot of work done to them.
3) Going from 35 to 37 wasn't going to be worth it unless I spent a pile of money on crate axles.
4) The junkyard route for one tons was far easier to turn large meats

Heck, I blew up a D60 short side shaft on the first slick rock trail I was on. Anything can break, some just less than others!
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

what about a rubi 44 rear with arb and alloys? i know the fronts weaknesses, but it seems like the only thing holding the rear rubi44 back is the lsd carrier
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

From what I recall it does make a difference if it is a TJ or JK rear 44. I had a TJ rear 44. Different spline count than the JK. From the factory it is a 30 IIRC and can be upgraded to a 35 spline. I think the JK was 32 or 33 from the factory and was larger. The front 44 in the JK has a larger ring gear than the D30. It is more amenable to being built up with chromos and gussets and handling 37's.

I had a 35 spline carrier and and alloy shafts in my rear 44 when I had it. It handled the 35's with no issue at all. It may have handled 37's. I know someone running 37's on TJ rubi axles and has not problems yet.

It was when I wanted to go bigger that it became the problem. At the time I could fit 37's without anymore stretch, lift, and sheet metal being cut. The cost to get a matching front was the problem. After doing some figuring and predicting an end goal I ended up in a larger direction.

After considering crate axles, JK junkyards, truck D44's, and many other options... I went with a 60/60 combo. That didn't last the summer as the 30 spline rear 60 twisted a chromo on the first day out.

I ended up slinging in a 14 bolt mid summer. So far so happy.

I need to go back and do a 35 stub conversion on the front 60, but all is time and money.

Tags
37s , dana 30 , dana 44

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.