Dana 44 swap help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 swap help

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
fsjeep13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 swap help... SHOCK advice

Hi, my D35 destroyed itself recently in my 2000 TJ and I bought a D44 from a 2003 non rubicon, no abs (I also do not have abs). Its at the shop and I want some swap information so I know if they are pulling any strings with me.

As far as I know and from calling the dealer, the non rubi '03 is a direct swap. The shop told me they will have to shorten the drive shaft because the dana 44 is a little different, that I can agree with I think.

They bought new shocks in the rear... That I think may be BS. Aren't the shock mounts in the same location? They said they would call, so I'm waiting until they call me. I'm sick of calling them and the manager not having any answers for me.

Please share information that you know. Thank you!

Unread 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Changing driveshaft length makes sense. Shocks being different makes no sense.
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
BadApple1403
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There the Same as far as I know
BadApple1403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are both axles same gear ratio?
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
fsjeep13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Are both axles same gear ratio?
Absolutely.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If it's a non-rubi, I'm not certain you would have to change the shaft. I just did a Rubi 44 swap this summer and installed a stock 44 yoke which let me keep the DC driveshaft. I suppose it makes a difference if you have a SYE or not...
Hosejockey61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Swapped out the d35 for a d44 in mine a year and a half ago. The donor vehicle was an 05, and mine is too. Everything went perfect, even used the same driveshaft from my d35. Should have been shortened about an inch, but I didn't bother. Got rear disc brakes out of the deal, too. Yes, I have a SYE. Everything, including the e-brake cables/connection was perfect.

New Shocks are NOT necessary for the axle swap. But maybe you needed them, eh?
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Brimstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One inch shorter is correct. The reason for this is the D44 housing is an inch longer than the D35. If you look through parts manuals you will find that there are different part numbers for drive shafts depending on the tranny/axle combination. I have a D44 that I will be swapping into my Jeep soon; I picked up a drive shaft from an '03 TJ that had the same tranny as me, but came from the factory with a D44, and it is exactly 1" shorter than the drive shaft on my Jeep.

You may get away with using the same shaft, but you will be pushing the shaft 1" further in its slip range, creating the possibility for bottoming out the shaft and damaging your transfer case when the suspension flexes.

The shocks should not be any different. They may have gotten new ones though because the old ones are shot. I have new ones to put in mine when I do the swap, as well as new sway bar links (the rubber bushings in mine are worn out).
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Hosejockey61
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A Rubicon yoke is longer than a non Rubicon yoke..by about an inch. That is why I put a non Rubicon yoke on my Rubicon D44...hadn't me that extra inch.

Best way to see if your DS is ok is to put your axle at full droop and check it.
Hosejockey61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

With your lift I don't see the DS being needed unless you had a new one made.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This should help. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...e-swap-901419/
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
fsjeep13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. I'm ok with the drive shaft being done, that is a good thing.

They decided to comp the shocks for me. Great. Ok, what shocks are they? Monroe Sensa Trac. WTF. I have a 3.5" Rubicon standard lift kit. Won't these be too short? I used to have ProComp ES3000s before they switched them which are nothing to shout about, but I do need a similar length.

To compound the situation, I have upper Nth degree (AEV) mounts still up there that would make the distance less from shock mount to shock mount. Being the lower mounts are now stock and not repositioned becuase I switched axles, The procomp shocks may be slightly long or perhaps still in range.

Any advice? I'm frustrated.
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjeep13 View Post

They decided to comp the shocks for me. Great. Ok, what shocks are they? Monroe Sensa Trac. WTF. I have a 3.5" Rubicon standard lift kit. Won't these be too short? I used to have ProComp ES3000s before they switched them which are nothing to shout about, but I do need a similar length.

To compound the situation, I have upper Nth degree (AEV) mounts still up there that would make the distance less from shock mount to shock mount.

Monroe's will come in different lengths. Depends which ones they used. If they used stock length then yes too short.
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjeep13 View Post

To compound the situation, I have upper Nth degree (AEV) mounts still up there that would make the distance less from shock mount to shock mount. Being the lower mounts are now stock and not repositioned becuase I switched axles, The procomp shocks may be slightly long or perhaps still in range.

The Nth Shock Shifters use the lower axle mount relocation bracket and it should be moved from the old axle.

The distance between the upper and lower Nth mounts is the same as stock and yes, will be different than stock if the relocated axle mount is not used.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
fsjeep13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
The Nth Shock Shifters use the lower axle mount relocation bracket and it should be moved from the old axle.

The distance between the upper and lower Nth mounts is the same as stock and yes, will be different than stock if the relocated axle mount is not used.
I didnt want to pay more to have the lower mounts cut and welded. I actually told them to remove the upper mounts. I've replaced the upper mounts twice, so I don't really care for the setup anyways.

The uppers are still in however, with a monroe shock that I am very interested in what size they got. I remember the upper mounts guideing the shock down at an angle to the back of the drum. They must have jerked it over and bolted it down in the stock mounts. I'll be looking at it monday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.