Dana 44 Rear Axle oil seep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 Rear Axle oil seep?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-18-2003, 11:08 AM   #1
MotorRad

Dana 44 Rear Axle oil seep?

This is my 1st post on this forum. Lot of good info. Very similar to the TDR forum (for Cummins Diesel owners).
My question is for those with experience with the D44 rear axle.
The rear on our 03 Rubicon seems to have what appears to be oil wicking on the exterior ends of the rear D44 right where the axle tubes meet the backing plates. No drips, just oil wicking onto the rust patina of the axle tubes at those points.
Now I've removed the wheels and rear brake rotors, and the seals are not leaking. No evidence on the interior of either side; emergency brake shoes are fine. Jeep only has 2900 miles.
Axle is not over filled. A call to the service manager of our dealer resulted in "thats normal for those axles". Sounds kind of fishy to me, but I've no experience with the D44. This never happened on the D35C on our YJ, nor has it ever happend on the D80 on the Dodge. Anybody ever see something similar on their D44 equipped TJ's?

Tim

Unread 07-22-2003, 05:52 AM   #2
twistedtj

I have a d44 in the rear of my 2000 sport that is doing the same thing. I can not say that it is normal, I just know that I am having the same problem. On the left side one of the axle seals blew out, and I took it to the dealer under warranty and had it repair, but the seepage is still there. Good luck with it.
twistedtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2003, 06:21 AM   #3
GenXSlkr

Check this out, it is not a 44 itís the 30 front so it may be of no help. Your post does sound similar to the problem my front 30 had. If it is I posted what the dealer did to correct it at the bottom. I will take a look at my rear D44 to see if I see what you are describing.

Seepage post

Good luck

GenX
02 TJ sport, Teraflex 3", 33X12.5, 4.0, 5spd.,D30/D44 4:56 w/rear detroit
[URL=http://joshua-orv.hostrocket.com/fc_pic80.jpg]FACE[/URL]
[URL=http://www.project-mayhem.ndo.co.uk/11-%20clever_wav.wav]Voice[/URL]
GenXSlkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.