Dana 44 rear axle locking and noise, caused by LSD? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 rear axle locking and noise, caused by LSD?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
OffroadRookie

Dana 44 rear axle locking and noise, caused by LSD?

I have an 6-cyl 2004 TJ Sahara automatic. Since about two months ago I've had problems with something in the rear axle.

First time problem occurred was while going through a roundabout, halfway through the 270 degree to turn left there was a loud metallic bang from the rear. But nothing more. After this I started noting that whenever I go slowly (2-3 mph, sometimes up to 10) and going slightly right or left there is a thudding noise coming at fixed intervals from the rear. I can also clearly feel what resembles the rear axle being locked and released then repeated, at same rhythm as the noise. Symptoms only occurs when turning while going slow.

I went to a local workshop to get a second opinion and they suggested the noise is caused by the the rear limited slip being worn out. And they also suggested that the loud initial bang was caused by the rear axle being completely locked for a short while during the turn through the roundabout. That turn was taken at 15mph+. They tried changing the oil in the rear differential but it didn't help, so in this case the only thing that would help would be a change of the clutch pack. But since they would be charging a ridiculous amount to do this I'd like to get another opinion regarding this.

Does the LSD (Trac-loc) wear out in such way that it locks the rear axle? Could the noise be caused by something else? Bearings? Is it possible to simply remove the LSD functionality and use the rear diff as the regular open diff?

Jeep has primarily been used as DD and on 12-15 occasions for some 3-4 hour long dune bashing trips.

OffroadRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the Trac-loc wears out, however it just stops working and acts like open when this happens. You have something wrong with the carrier, it could be the clutch packs, could also be the spider gears or the side gears.
Did they pull the cover and inspect it when they changed the fluid or just pump out the old and put in new? If they did not pull the cover then that would be the first step - you may have a broken piece of clutch in there causing more damage as time goes by.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.