Dana 44 Pinion Oil Seal Replacement??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 Pinion Oil Seal Replacement???

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
pbungar

Dana 44 Pinion Oil Seal Replacement???

I just removed the leaking rear pinion oil seal on my 99 TJ's Dana 44. Now I am ready to install the new one but am wondering what the torque spec. is on the pinion yoke nut (it was tigher that $&%! getting it off!). I don't completely understand the Haynes manual's explanation of 5 in-lbs past the torque required to turn the wheels (jacked up) when the original assembly was together minus the driveshaft.

Unread 08-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well if you didn't measure the in. lb. torque before you took the pinion nut off it's too late now anyway. My FSM shows 160-200 ft. lbs.
Jim
Unread 08-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #3
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It should be around 160 ft. lbs. Techinically, you should have measured it before removing the nut.

Quote:
-Install yoke on pinion gear with Installer W-162-D, Cup 8109 and Wrench 6958 (Fig. 32). CAUTION: Do not exceed the minimum tightening torque 217 Nm (160 ft. lbs.) when installing the pinion yoke retaining nut at this point. Damage to the pinion bearings may result.

-Install pinion washer and a new nut on the pinion gear and tighten the nut until there is zero bearing end-play.

-Tighten pinion nut to 217 Nm (160 ft. lbs.) .

-Rotate pinion gear a minimum of ten times and verify pinion rotates smoothly.

-Rotate pinion shaft an inch pound torque wrench. Rotating torque should be equal to recorded reading plus an additional 0.56 Nm (5 inch lbs.) (Fig. 33).

-If the rotating torque is low, use Spanner Wrench 6958 to hold the pinion yoke, and tighten the pinion nut in 6.8 Nm (5 ft. lbs.) increments until the proper rotating torque is achieved.

-Install propeller shaft with reference marks aligned.

-Add gear lubricant to the differential if necessary.
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #4
pbungar

I did measure the torque required to turn the wheels freely with the original nut in place and it was ~160 in-lbs. So if I understand this correctly, I am supposed to torque the nut (160-220 ft-lbs) until it requires approximately 165 in-lbs to turn the wheels freely?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.