Dana 44 Pinion Angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 Pinion Angle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
yuma97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 Pinion Angle

To complete the Dana 44 swap into my 97 TJ, I know I must adjust the pinion angle. I also know that the best way to do this is with adjustable rear control arms. To the best of my knowledge, Rubicon edition TJs don't have adjustable control arms, so how is their pinion angle changed? Are the control arm brackets welded on at a different angle? I know the transfer case and drive shaft are not the same as a 231/D35 equipped TJ, but will these changes cause the pinion angle to change? Thanks, just looking for something besides the control arm option.

yuma97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The adjustable control arms are aftermarket . None of the Jeeps come with them
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Only other option is to cut and move your CA brackets to get the right pinion angle... I'd get adjustable CAs before doing that.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuma97 View Post
To complete the Dana 44 swap into my 97 TJ, I know I must adjust the pinion angle. I also know that the best way to do this is with adjustable rear control arms. To the best of my knowledge, Rubicon edition TJs don't have adjustable control arms, so how is their pinion angle changed? Are the control arm brackets welded on at a different angle? I know the transfer case and drive shaft are not the same as a 231/D35 equipped TJ, but will these changes cause the pinion angle to change? Thanks, just looking for something besides the control arm option.
What driveshaft are you running? For a stock driveshaft, output angle of TC and pinion angle should match. This requires less adjustment of pinion and is the setup the factory goes for with stock fixed arms. If you are running a CV driveshaft then pinion angle and driveline angle need to be the same. Adjustable control arms probably the best way to do that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.